1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bin Laden is irrelevant.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Yes, irrelevant. Want to kill him? Go ahead; few deserve such punishment more than he.

However, he is irrelevant.

If dead, he is irrelevant.

If alive, not only is he irrelevant, but also powerless and, more to the point, a coward.

Hiding behind al Jazeera, making vague claims of "revenge" and threats of more violence? I'd be laughing at his lame ass if he wasn't so evil.

Al Qaida continues to exist, much diminished. I have little doubt that international police efforts will put them out of business, much as the Red Army Faction, and others, were put out of business. A continually diminishing threat exists; it will eventually go away.

In the meantime, if he is alive, bin Laden is irrelevant, and a coward.

I am saddened that anyone would follow a man who hasn't the courage of his convictions.

Here is a question, Mr. Irrelevant Man: If you and your followers are so eager to die, fighting the "infidel", why are you hiding?

Coward. You are irrelevant.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Nice post, certainly dead on.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, I'd still like to see him dead, though. :)

SM

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I believe he is, there is a report was he died Dec 12th, 2001 which was witnessed by a member of Al' Queda and reported upon one of their supporting website, it was pulled of the website very quickly and then never commented on again. But we have not seen bin Laden since that time and the audio tape supposedly attributed to him has many deviations that are indicative of being either a compelation of other speeches or someone trying to imitate his voice patterns.

5. Sierra Mike

I'd love to think he's dead--after all, with about 20 B-52s moving mud and breaking down mountains, I'd like to think we accomplished that mission requirement instead of just doing some really expensive landscaping. :)

Who knows for sure, though?

SM

6. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Stevent,
    Good post, I agree.
    But, it seems that a bunch of folks look to him for guidance.
    Why? Beats me. Some 'leaders' of that religious bent say he's twisted the words of their faith. Other religious 'leaders' say he's right on.
    Tough for us simple folks to understand.
    Seems like there's no solution, until everyone's Muslim.
    A peacefull religion? Could'a fooled me, by their actions.

I just find it interesting that after a year & billions upon billions of dollars for their budgets, our 'intellegence agencys' can't find this guy, or his compatriots.

Just wondering.
    Regards,

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

That's why I think he's dead.

The ones in hiding are truly cowards. If the broad support for the movement that they claim really exists, then let them come forward to popular acclaim.

It does not, of course. They are cowards, school-yard bullies writ large. It's a shame so many must die due to the cowardice of so few.

8. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Perhaps bin Laden released the tape because he's pissed that Saddam took his place as the #1 threat. He probably doesn't like to rate 2nd best.

If by some miracle that ol' desert rat is still alive...any guesses where he is?

Pakistan, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia...hell, he could even be in Europe.

Saddam and bin Laden both amount to no more than two fleas on an Elephant's ass.

<small>'ave a wee dram.</small>

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I think we did a lot of positive by sending our military as quickly as we did over there.

For starters, we killed a bunch of al queda and pissed them off real good. Killed a lot of leaders, also.

Second, we removed The Taliban from power, which underground groups for a long time were trying to get rid of them and never succeeded, partly because of the funding they were receiving from the US. We pretty much liberated a people that were enslaved since the early 90's, especially the women of that country.

I know I was against sending military over there initially, because I don't want to see anyone get killed or hurt, but in hindsight, I do recognize that it was the best thing to do.

10. jamming

jamming Banned

Supposedly another audio tape has been released, so I am going to amend my statement that Osama is dead, to I am 99% sure he is dead. The remaining 1% is that he was so badly wounded as to be bedridden or they don't want to show how pathetic he looks from his wounds.

11. Sierra Mike

Of course it was the best thing to do. Retaliation for 9/11 made any argument a moot point, especially since we knew where the bad guys were. The Talibs were dumber than Hussein in the gamble they took--here's to stupid people getting what they deserve.

I've never been on to pin mission success on bin Laden's head, but I would take some personal satisfaction in finding some of his DNA in Tora Bora. Unfortunately, I don't think that's the case.

But I am forever hopeful. He needs Allah to judge his actions quite badly, and we should go our very best to arrange the meeting. :)

SM

12. Omar

Omar Registered User

Leon had a great article here from Arab news which he posted regarding the political death of bin Laden. With all of the changes on the forum, perhaps he can find the link?

13. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I wish he was irrelevant but he's not. What I think is irrelevant is whether we think he is a coward or not.
    He's relevant for what he stands for to the fundamentalist Islamists. He is their leader, symbol of power and martyr if he's dead..all those things and more. Hes also a symbol to the western world and one that invokes fear or anger or both. He will always be relevant alive or dead for those reasons.
    It mattters not if we consider him a coward although I agree he is and of the worst kind, but if he is still alive and remains in hiding with the occassional timely release of a tape then he will continue to do just what he wants to do....anger and scare and infuriate and intimidate the west and be a synmbol of resistance and aggression for Islamists.

If he is still alive, and that tape has been classified as legitimate, then why is he not being seen on video in such a way that his being alive is proven? Won't it be an even more effective way to advance his cause if all the world knows he is alive? Why resort to a scratchy audio tape with a still of yourself on the Arabian news service that aired it? Perhaps he is dead.

14. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

ditch,

"then why is he not being seen on video in such a way that his being alive is proven? Won't it be an even more effective way to advance his cause if all the world knows he is alive? Why resort to a scratchy audio tape with a still of yourself on the Arabian news service that aired it? Perhaps he is dead."

My thoughts also. I first wondered why he had always used video and only now uses audio tape. PROOF to the world would mean OBL on video talking of such events as Bali or even the UN and Iraq. Why not this time, a tactic perhaps?

Somehow I still think he is alive, as I personally doubt that he was anywhere near Aghanistan after 911. I certainly would not have been.

It matters not if OBL is a coward, he is an EXTREMELY dangerous figure-head.

John.

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

"My thoughts also. I first wondered why he had always used video and only now uses audio tape. PROOF to the world would mean OBL on video talking of such events as Bali or even the UN and Iraq. Why not this time, a tactic perhaps?"

A tactic perhaps but I can't fathom the reasoning. It would be so easy for him to prove he is alive but he refuses to do so.