1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill to allow deaf to serve

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't know what's worse, the military officer who managed to get the congressman to submit the bill, or the congressman for going along with the idea.

I have serious issues with this, especially as they're going to be active duty. What next? Mandatory training for everyone else to learn ASL?

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

That is unwise. The adversity that deaf people face every day would be a piece of cake compared to what they'd face in the Air Force. I don't see the point here. Educated deaf people now have a wide range of careers to choose from. They can even get private noncommercial pilot licenses (with restrictions on airports). I know some of these pilots. I wonder how many deaf people are actually hankering to get into the Air Force?

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Full disclosure:
    I am now 99% deaf in my left ear, from what I perceive to be years of abuse from loud guns in the service of my country and from an illness that eventually made my left ear go the rest of the way towards deafness a few years back.

That begin said, I've got no problem with someone who would be declared ineligible by current medical standards (i.e. ANY use of a hearing aid is automatic disqualification) as long as using said devices/implants made them hear enough to perform their assigned duties as well as someone with perfect hearing.

After all, come on, this is the chair force, worst that can happen is missing the announcement of what the buffet entree is for lunch.
    It's not like they're going to be out slogging it in the suck and getting ganked by charlie sneaking up on them. most of them will be more than likely in the rear with the gear staring at a computer monitor.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

If that's all they'll be doing, that might be feasible. Lots of people with hearing aids are doing well enough to pass for normal hearing people. The cochlear implant group is much more varied because this isn't a matter of simply amplifying sound. The results vary a lot, and many of them have trouble understanding in noisy environments.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You've been away a long time. Mission has change quite a bit over the years. Chair force? Tell that to the airmen who are graduating from Ranger school.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I failed to find the direct link in the story you posted that inferred this pilot program would be dumping all 20 deaf recruits into that school, being one of the rarest and toughest jobs in the chair force, as opposed to the other ~130 careers they have that wouldn't require direct combat interaction and could be performed by someone with a hearing aid or implant.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't think this will be passed. There are retarded bills proposed weekly.

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I don't think it'll pass, either. But Biker, instead of pointing to the TWO guys who went through Ranger training, how about the hundreds who were taught to fly helicopters...by the Army. :D