1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Win for Uber

Discussion in 'Economy' started by SixofNine, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

I'm signed up with them but have never used the service. Based upon all the widely different facts I hear about them from locations across the US I can't help but wonder if the markets they are in might vary dramatically?

I live in the West Los Angeles Brentwood/Westwood, Bel Air and nearby Santa Monica area. Lots of people I know in my immediate area use them and have had nothing bad to say about them. I wonder if their experience is an accurate sample of the overall operation in Los Angeles?

2. dsl987

dsl987 Member

I think I'll delete Uber and sign up for Lyft. They seem to treat their drivers a little better, the pay is higher and they let you tip the driver from within the app. With Uber you still have to carry cash if you want to leave a tip.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

You can tip from within the Uber app, but you really have to dig for it, and it's not labeled as a tip. Was reading about that a month or so ago and drivers are really honked about Uber's change to that.

4. dsl987

dsl987 Member

From what I understand the app only offers tipping when you take UberPool which is basically carpooling with other Uber users. It doesn't offer tipping for regular rides.

5. Biker

Got to digging around and it was UberEats that had the hidden option for tipping. It was buried after the 20% fiasco and lawsuits from drivers against Uber.

6. Biker

Inadvertent my ass.

Uber inadvertently underpaid New York City drivers for over two years

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

I finally had a need for the service. I belong to both Uber and Lyft. I chose Lyft simply because of the numerous and diverse consistent stream of issues with Uber--especially those involving drivers.

The Lyft experience was excellent. There was another rider in the car that had used both Uber and Lyft and she indicated a preference for Lyft.

ethics likes this.
  8. Biker

dsl987 likes this.
  9. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Serves them right

Allene likes this.
  10. Biker

How the hell are these clowns still in business?

Uber concealed cyberattack that exposed 57 million people's data

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

There is no privacy. As wrong as that should be it is a reality. As real as there is nothing that can or will be done about it in the big picture.

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This. I wish people would stop being outraged. There's no privacy. None.

Arc likes this.
  13. Arc

Arc Full Member

I will say one great thing about Uber. They are available in Mexico and after spending a month there they are WAY better than Mexican Taxis. At least half-price, no tipping, (unless you want), no cash involved, nice cars.

14. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

There's a social app for consultants called Fishbowl. Lots of interesting information as well as dirty laundry shared anonymously among McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting, Accenture, the Big 4, and smaller firms. ALL of the consultants who travel on a weekly basis use Uber for all ground transportation. Just as many say "xerox this" rather than "photocopy this," all of these consultants "Uber."

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

It's been ages since I used "xerox this." :)

16. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Allene likes this.
  17. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Uber was a good word (bon mot) before they stole it.

18. Allene

Allene Registered User