1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Win for Uber

Discussion in 'Economy' started by SixofNine, Sep 11, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Judge rules on taxi industry lawsuit: Compete with Uber or die

Judge rules on taxi industry lawsuit: Compete with Uber or die

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Why do I have the feeling this is going to happen...

4. Biker

And now it looks like Toronto is going to win this one.

Uber Threatens To Leave Toronto And Take 15,000 Jobs With It

What I find humorous about the whole thing is Uber's claim that thousands will be out of a job. This is a company that barely pays the driver a minimum wage, and doesn't reimburse for vehicle mileage, depreciation or fuel. And if they were to get into an accident, it's likely their insurance company wouldn't cover the accident.

How Much do Uber Drivers Really Make? - Uber Driver Diaries

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am with you. My brother was driving for them and had to quit because the cost of maintaining the car and gas was not worth it. Uber used to have a good model, now?

6. Biker

Their original pricing was causing more communities look at them for shady practices, especially with their "surge" pricing. There were complaints in Toronto where folks were being charged hundreds of dollars for a short trip. That's what kicked off the legal battles and caused the city council to take a very hard look at the company.

I give the company less than a year before it folds.

7. dsl987

dsl987 Member

after doing some reading on what these guys make, I don't see how anyone could make a living at Uber anymore

8. ethics

Can't, really. I want them to fail, tbh. Shitty, greedy company that doesn't deserve to succeed.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

I got confused in signing up. Not sure if I am. Did so only for emergency. I don't expect to have a planned use for Uber.

One thing that puzzled me, will one of many, was I read that you didn't have to tip Uber drivers as the company got 80 percent of the fare and the driver got 20 percent. But...in the sign up process there was an unexplained box where I could check for the fare a 20 percent gratuity or no gratuity. That sounds like the tip or 20 percent the driver gets to me. If you don't check the 20 percent gratuity than does your driver know that when he picks you up. If so I as a passenger or someone seeking a Uber ride would expect consequences that weren't so nice.

10. ethics

No idea. When I signed up I didn't have that option. I've signed up over a year ago, never used them though. Like you, it's in case of emergency only.

11. Biker

Welp, Uber AND Lyft are fleeing Austin.

Uber and Lyft to leave Austin after failed vote

Considering the high profile cases involving Uber drivers, one would think that Uber wouldn't have been so adamant about not requiring background checks on their drivers.

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'd be scared to use these services unless I had at least two other people with me.

13. Biker

Ouch! :lolaway-5:

French court fines Uber, execs for illegal taxi service

Yes, I know. It's France. But I still have to chuckle at the irony of it all.

14. Biker

It finally hit why taxi companies are so against Uber, and after realizing this, I'm gobsmacked that cities are allowing Uber to operate.

Most cities require taxi drivers to have a license or "medallion" that permits them to operate within the city. These licenses are outrageously expensive, and most have viewed these as an "investment" as they're transferable. Taxi drivers have paid exorbitant sums of money for these and are finding the value tanks when Uber moves in and are allowed to operate without having to follow the same licensing guidelines that normal taxi services are required to adhere to.

I have to take the side of the taxi drivers on this. Why should Uber be given a pass when the taxi driver is held to a different standard?

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

Has anyone been abducted by these Uber drivers? If so, did the drivers get away with it?

16. Biker

17. Allene

Allene Registered User

Omigosh, they are even worse than I thought. Kidnapping and dumping women in the middle of nowhere after assaulting them was what I had in mind when I asked about abductions, and what a list! Whatever was that judge thinking? With no background checks, no fingerprinting, and no need to even meet prospective drivers, anything goes. Some of them cannot even drive well. I used cabs quite a bit when I lived in Boston and never felt uncomfortable. Everyone was very professional, at least back then (late 60s-early 70s). Too bad they are expected to compete with these louts.

18. dsl987

dsl987 Member

The wife and I have used Uber occasionally and have never had a bad experience, but I'd never let her use it by herself. I have however felt unsafe in a taxi, not from the driver but from the car itself. It vibrated terribly when taking left hand corners, and when we took an elevated freeway exit (turning left) at 50 mph, I was seriously worried it was going to lose a wheel or an axle. Uber on the other hand has very comfortable, clean and modern rides.

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

The only time I felt unsafe in a taxi was in Richmond, VA, back in 1973. The driver's behavior toward me made me very uneasy.

20. Biker