1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bhutan Lifestyle

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Jan 5, 2003.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

This sounds like a very desirable place to live.

The King of Bhutan , Jigme Singye Wangchuck, also the head of government, and the 4th king since the monarchy was established in 1907.
    It was his decree, in keeping with Buddhist philosophy, that national happiness was more important than GNP. It is fundamental to the citizens and the king that there be a balance between the economic, social, emotional, spiritual and cultural needs.

The king is setting a good example, he has four wives ALL OF WHOM ARE SISTERS. Each has her own palace and each has initiated programs covering things such as Aids, education and women's rights. Like equal time with his highness I suppose.

One benefit of this approach to development is an increasing amount of forest cover. It is a law that there remain atleast a 60% forest cover of the counrty's geographical area at all times.

If you want to have a winge or whatever, all of the royals numbers are in the front of the phone book.

The king was educated in England and India. One schoolmate was a member of Australia's Taltarni Wine family. Taltarni wine is freely available in Bhutan and is a good accompaniment to Yak so the article says.

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I actually knew a member of the royal family of Bhutan when I was in college and living in the International House.
    He was a friendly and charming guy, always willing to pay for a round of beers or share a joint.
    He studied hard, was very smart, and was a fiend for basketball. I asked him once what he would be doing for summer vacation, and he said "I'm going to New York City. I'm joining my country's delegation to the United Nations. Would you like another beer?"

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

All that mountain air in the Himalayas must be good you.