1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Better Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Aside from this story, my experience is the following:

1. For best security, nothing beats American Express. Massive amount of tools that you can set up, including texts after "not present" charges.

2. For rewards, Chase Freedom and/or Discover Card. Best cash back and bonuses here and both have decent fraud protection.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have Chase Freedom and like it.

ethics likes this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

I have both Chase and Discover. I like Chase for my business because I get my points in Amazon gift cards, kind of a perq.

Oh, I found a way to get double double on Discover (probably work with many cards). I love Bed, Bath and Beyond for lots of household and cooking stuff. They're always sending me 20% off coupons. I can buy $25 BB&B gift cards at Discover for $20 worth of points, so when I use them to buy at BB&B I pay 80% of 80% = 64% of shelf price!

BB&B's prices aren't all that great, but at 2/3 sticker they ARE great!

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I get my Chase points in Amazon gift cards too.

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Chase fraud protection is excellent. Twice I've had my card skimmed and they crushed it, right off. I don't know what algorithms or methods or whatever they're using, but they know.

ethics likes this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

That's good to know.

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'm amazed at how good they are all getting. I've been with Citi since 1993 and they too are simply amazing on the fraud front.

Just last week, they caught a fraudulent charge to bestbuy.com and declined it before even texting me. They then sent me a text that instructed me to reply with the number 1 if I made the charge and reply with 2 if I didn't. I replied with 2 and my phone instantly rang with the fraud department on the line.

Had my new card and account number the next day via overnight FedEx.

Huge thumbs up Citi!

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Actually Chase has been a PITA for me, not that's not good...

I use a VPN ( http://www.ibvpn.com ) to combine with anonymous browsing to achieve zero advertising profile. But occasionally I forget I'm in Paris or Moscow or London, and try to login to my Chase account, and there is hell to pay with a new email authentication etc.

Same with Google. I get several warnings a week that somebody tried to log in to my account from Amsterdam or Zurich.

The more you react to protect your privacy the more they react throwing roadblocks in your way.

I remember the Hollywood actress: "I just want to be left alone."