1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beta group, where are you?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Copzilla, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Looking for the beta group to run the elite quests like Pyrewood. All I ever see on in the guild is 40+ gang, any of the L20 guys still around and playing? I know Biker has a 26, and I'll leapfrog him fast if he doesn't get on the ball, but I want to complete a few of those elite quests.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Don't have any for there. Do have one or two for WC as well as one of the keeps.

3. Copzilla

Gained another level yesterday, but I need a party to get those elite quests. One of them offers a wand, and I need to get off of the mace and start using what I should be using...

4. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I'm still playing!

I'm currently at Lvl 21 and about 1/3 of the way to 22. unfortunately between work and the sideline biz I've had to do an hour here and an hour there on WoW. Perhaps this weekend I'll have some time.

Damn, I still need to get my taxes done from last year. I'm on extension number 2 and that's gone on the 17th. That'll take a day (probably next weekend).

I have three quests for the Wailing Caverns.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

There are a few serious contenders for beta group (as mentioned).

Copz, if you need help, post it here and one of the Alphas will be more than glad to take you through an instance of any other tough quest.

The good news in all of this is that Alphas are too fractured during the week (not to mention hour differences) to have a full group but once the rest of you all catch up, I see a lot of grouping and plowing through. ;)

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Some great points being made here, so let me take the air out of the room with my boring contributions: :)

- The alpha group started grouping on tough quests and in instances almost immediately. Some of the best loot from the early groupings was for cloth wearers, but there were plenty of goodies to go around. There's a nice progression of instances on the Horde side as you level up: Ragefire, Wailing Caverns, ShadowFang Keep, etc. It's fun and you get paid.

- Copz, I second your point that as a priest you've reached the level where you can kiss that 1H mace goodbye and find a good 2H staff and, as you pointed out, a wand. Most of the good staves you come across will give you a good +Int boost, and you're going to be using your mana to a much greater degree to kill mobs instead of whacks to the head. At the low levels you have no choice but the mace to finish off a mob. Now it's Shadow Word: Pain/Mind Blast/Mind Flay and then the wand when they're almost dead and/or when you're low on mana. Good staves drop in these instance runs.

- It's time to lose all the white gear and have nothing but green or better, and instance runs will get that for you. Decent green gear is a much better target for your guild enchanter, because he likes to enchant stuff that's going to last a few levels, and besides, that Robe of Arugal would look very good on you. :)

- Life is very different for a priest in groups. When you solo you're a shadow damage dealer. In groups you're primarily a healer. Not like, say, a warrior, who just swings at anything that moves whether he's soloing or grouping. :) Of course, the quickest way for a mob to get itself killed by our group is to make a move for me, because at least one person in the alpha group always designates him or herself (Els takes this on a lot) as the official priest bodyguard. We have been through some very tough instances where I can count on one hand the number of times I've been touched. That's an incredibly low number. Also, the Fade spell, useless when you're soloing, comes into play in a big way.

If anybody in the beta group hasn't used the Auction House yet to shop for wearable items, I'd also be happy to help you find decent gear at your level. In any case let me know when you have something new that's green or better so I can enchant it to make sure that you're nice and buffed.

Brian

7. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

And I can make you guys armor kits. Just give me a few days to get the materials together

8. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

I do my best to get on and meet up with people, but the time just isn't there for me to log in at night and play. I just tagged 15 with Shamius and am halfway to 16, but rarely see any other Guildie on when I am playing....

I will be on this evening (around 1900 - 2100 CST) as my wife is off at a class tonight. I should be able to make Wednesday nights a regular thing at this time, as the wife will be taking this class through December.

Weekends are equally as bad, as the "honeydo" list is all encompassing and all powerful on the weekends. :)

Will keep an eye for any Beta members and flick mud at the Alpha members (should I see any) ;)

Stay safe

Jerry

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Excellent points Seid. :)

I can't tell you the number of times I've been soloing in one of the lower instances and come across a BoP item, and smacked myself in the forehead because one of you guys could have used it if it wasn't friggin BoP. :doh:

CopZ, you need to tag along with me (or Braz?) into Shadowfang on next trip. I've found so many BLUE items in there that you could have used right away if you were just lurking around the corner while I spattered guts all over the walls.

Case in point.

I have been forced to sell the following because they are soulbound in the last 48 hours that would have been perfect for a Priest.

Odo's Ley Staff

Robes of Argual

Feline Mantle

Witching Stave

If that don't get ya motivated.... :thumbsup:

If need be, in order to take out some of these "elite" quests you guys have/need.. I can tear myself away from some of my morning farming sessions and get you into places that will make you mess yourself. :)

Monday and Wednesday mornings I have about 2 or 3 hours to play around with solid without having to run out to pickup/drop off the little one..

Or you can catch me after 1130PM mon-Fri when I am normally on...

As it is right now, I'm kinda taking it easy until the weekends with my questing since I've got a ton of instance stuff to do myself.

10. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Given your unique situation perhaps I could best help by sending you items or even gold. Does Shamius have any immediate needs?

11. Copzilla

Well look guys, between me, Shamius and Piob, we'd have the makings of a decent enough team to take on Pyrewood. Those are level 13 and 14 elite, which for a 16, 20 and 21, not a big problem. Everyone get those quests, and let's take them on. Hell, I'd love to do it tonight, but if this doesn't work for you guys, tell me when you can.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing. Evidently it's working alright, because I hit 20 yesterday and only started a couple weeks ago, and had a hurricane interrupt me in the middle of it all. If I don't see any betas on within a couple of days, I'll try and hook up an impromptu party and take those quests on.

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Pyrewood? Hell, you guys can probably do SFK now no?

13. Copzilla

Yeah, I know I can handle the bogeys, just not solo! I need a party! But I haven't done Pyrewood yet either. I hit the wall on that end of the world, and went cross country to hunt raptors and schtuff.

14. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Is Pyrewood that little piss-ant village with the level 16-18 elites in it just south of Shadowfang Keep?

Hell, I could have you through there in a few minutes tonight when I get on after work. :)

(Then drag your bony tail through Shadowfang with me. :rofl:)

15. Copzilla

Yeah, actually, they're 13th-14th level elites. No biggie. I'll be home around 8-8:30.

16. Copzilla

Well, we went in today, to SFK, killed Arugal, and Biker rolled for it and won it, you weenie! WTF you do that for? It's Bind on Pickup, and you can't use it! But we know, we're still learning, so it's no big deal. We'll be back in there.

Still, finished 4 elite quests, gained level 21, was a good night all around. Made some friends who will be in the region over the next few levels, so it was fun fun... Definitely a good day in the game. Finished Pyrewood, Fenris and Shadowfang elite quests. Got LOADS of gear tonight. For sure, I'm a lot tougher than I was yesterday. Wands and stuff, armor and more...

17. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I actually miss clicked on that. I'll send it to ya.

Never did get a single gem from Shadowfang. Might have to do it again tomorrow. :)

18. SixofNine

Very cool. If memory serves, I went through Pyrewood with a large bullish creature nicknamed Blackie. :) It's one of those places where you can kill two or three birds with one stone in terms of quests.

Enchanters can make wands, and I think the one I can make for your level might have slightly more firepower than the one you have, but we can check in game. I can make an even better one, but you have to be level 30 to use it, so let's check again when you get to level 30 in about, oh, 10 minutes. :thumbsup:

My big fun last night was soloing the Bloodscalp Clan Heads quest and killing Gan'zulah and Nezzliok all by my petite priestess self. The trick was to climb up the western side of those ruins and drop down to the ledge right where they hang out. Unload on the first named guy, focus on him while his pals kick the shit out of you, fear them before dying, kill the named guy, get his head, and run like a paladin. Get out of range, heal, and repeat for the second guy. It helps that the current rank of my Fear spell can now send four mobs running.

I also soloed that Zenzil quest last night, though there was the occassional ad hoc help from passersby as those particular ruins are pretty cramped quarters. Got to use that Shackle Undead spell quite a bit there. :) What a weird place - naga, undead, and witch doctors all hanging out in ruins the size of a postage stamp. It was as if the Bliz designers had some mobs left over and threw them all in this little spot.

Brian

19. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You guys did pretty good last night.
    Only one res needed. :thumbsup:
    Couple things I hope you picked up though...

When in a group CopZ.. Wait a few seconds before trying to cast an attack on the big angry mobs so that your tank can have a few seconds to get aggro on them and they don't run toward your bony butt. :p (See the aggro management threads)
    http://globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37378
    http://globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36894
    Couple o' times they ran right past me to go after you, the squshy healer, first on their hitlist.

I never really appreciated TS that much until I realized how much I depend on it now in groups.
    Even just typing "wait here" doesn't cut it sometimes.:thumbsup:

:doh:
    How's that going, btw?... (I think someone is learning the hard way what "bind on pickup" really means. :rofl:)

What gems are you looking? Is that a quest?

20. SixofNine

And as a priest Copz, I have found the hard way that you have to lay off early use of Mind Blast because, as the spell description says, it generates "an unusual amount of threat." In groups it's better to just SW: Pain all of the mobs and then Mind Flay the humanoids when their health gets low so that when they start to run you have slowed them down by 50%. That gives you plenty of time for your primary job in groups, which of course is healing. Mind Blast is fine on a mob whose health is low because you most likely won't get to the top of their hate list by then, and your Mind Blast will probably kill them anyway.

Fade is also your friend in groups. Healing draws aggro as if you had damaged the mob to the tune of about 65% to 75% of the amount of the heal. If a mob that is fighting a party member turns toward you right after a heal, cast Fade and they should turn right back toward the original party member. This also works when you cast a damage spell directly on a mob fighting another party member, but an early Mind Blast might put you so high on the mob's hate list that Fade won't help.

Brian