1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Video Game EVER?!

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, May 5, 2006.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Some crazy buzz around this one and I wouldn't believe it till I read about the algorithm for the game and how it was made. I can't remember the last time a PC game has gotten me so excited as this one has.

When I read Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker, he spoke about a computer program that would have this micro-organisms. He would then apply this complex mathematical algorithm that would allow these tiny organisms to mutate. It was all random and it was very basic and primary but it did the job in explaining a part of Natural Selection.

This game took that and went above and beyond with incredible graphics, science, and game play. I can see myself getting lost in playing God for hours. :)

Here are the links.

Official Site
    Google Video presentation
    1UP preview at E3 (go to 80% of the video)
    Gamespot Preview

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I wasn't too excited, until I heard that it's multi-player! (asynchronous, but still).

That's very cool.

(The philosophical implications I want to think about more...it does promote an idea of intelligent design--at least if you consider gamers to be intelligent!--but it's intelligent designers).

I do believe I'll be buying this one!

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I watched almost the entire google vid.

Not bad, Age of Empires meets genetic engineering. :)

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Sorry to dig up such an old thread...but when is this thing coming out?

5. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Next summer.

6. ethics

7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dammit.

Well, they do have more important things to do, like Madden Curling 2008, Sims expansion pack # 3 Bazillion and such. :rolleyes:

8. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

OT - I just sold all my Sims games hahaha

9. ethics

10. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

What is with these guys? Do they have a never ending pool of investment capital to play with?

11. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20070621 ;)

Nice way to cover...

12. ethics

LOL! They are playing semantics game.

13. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Spore gets an official release date.

September 7, 2008

Nice!

14. ethics

Most anticipated non MMO game for me in... damn, I can't even remember.

15. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ya, that trailer we saw a long time ago was killer, I can only imagine what they improved on since.

I also read *somewhere* just forget where, they were also going to do a Wii platform release too.

16. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

oooooo, ok that might have to go on pre-order. That looks very very very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the movie when the site loads.

17. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Why on earth are they developing for the Mac platform? Even if both of the people that run Macs buy it, it still won't recoup the development costs.

18. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

It doesn't cost much to port games to the Macintosh. Just a single Mac programmer geek tweaking the already written code. And with Mac at about 10% of the gamer market, I'd wager they want full coverage. Blizzard has done the same thing with every game they've made, with much much success.

Tech support for Mac users is very very low as well, which is the bulk of the expense after development.

19. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Speaking of best game ever, has anyone played 'Mass Effect' for xbox 360 yet?

It's one hell of a great game. Star War: Knights of the Old Republic engine FTW!

20. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From Spore's news snippets...

In short, because they can do it very easily once they did the initial investment in converting their gaming engine, a 1000lb cluebat that other gaming companies need to be hit with repeatedly. (*eyes Turbine*)