1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Newsgroup Program?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Dec 8, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I used to know this answer but Forte's Agent is pissing me off lately. I love everything about it BUT how it keeps files. It's a monstrosity and everytime I have to download large bin files it completely freezes systems.

So my question is this, what's good out there that handles large files, encodes and decodes on the fly?

2. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I like both <u>GrabIt</u> and <u>XNews</u>, both free. Forte ticked me off a long time ago with lockups and incompatability issues.

Both are built more for downloading than for reading and posting... which is after all what newsgroups are for, right?? ;)

(My favorite of the two is XNews - very complete features and ease of use combined make it my choice.)

3. ethics

Thanks a lot Sun. Will give both a try and will give a small review. ;)

I love this forum!!! Solved like three pain in the ass issues under an hour. :)

4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Just a vote up for XNews. Love it. Need to use it and get some Christmas music going on.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally use Mozilla's Mail & News module.

6. ethics

Oh man, Xnews ROCKS!
    I still have to fiddle with some views but my first impressions is that I am going to love it. :)

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Glad I could help! :)

Yes, there are quite a few ways to configure it, but once you get it set the way it works best for you, I'm sure you'll love it. I was so impressed, after using Agent for so long ('cause everybody said it was the best, you know), and I have never looked back.

8. ethics

Agent? What's that? I am seriously loving this. Handles Yenc nicely, and it FEELS like the downloads are MUCH faster. :)

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Before subscribing to easynews.com, I used to use Xnews. If you download a lot from binaries, I recommend an easynews.com account anyday over the alternatives. You get 6GB per month for around $10, and finding and downloading files is a breeze compared to fussing with news readers.

10. ethics

Nah, I'm cool with Xnews, but thanks for the suggestions.

I used to buy NG access but, surprisingly, my Verizon DSL is kicking major ass.

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I forgot to mention that another reason I like easynews.com is because the retention rate is 30 days, and there is a very effective way to do searches! My ISP's news servers only saves the last three days, and the download rate is capped at like 50KB/sec. I know that's not horribly slow, but I get over 200KB/sec from easynews.