1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Be Care What We Post?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

Should we be careful what we post? Are extradition papers in anyone's future?

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1023-976630.html">Australian court to hear Net case </a>

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I hear cases like this almost monthly. There's a lot of loud noises many times but there's only a few I keep my eye on.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

It was also defaming, or so he claims, an Australian, Joseph Gutnick. That must be one of the major determinants of where the case is held as he is domiciled here also.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

That's OK ditch, after your court awards him money our court can give the company relief.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I find it strange that where the article was downloaded can have any bearing on where the case is heard. So what if was downloaded in the US, should the case be held there?

6. jamming

jamming Banned

If that is true then anything in this forum would have to be able to not defame any entity in anyplace it was downloaded on the web. I think the Australian Court now and French Courts that have done this are over-reaching. But hey its there lawyer's dime, I think the Dow Jones will have some deep pockets to spend this out till the subject is long gone. His real only hpe is to settle this under seal of the court and declare he is satisfied with the agreement, if he wants the appearence of a win.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

This ruling has set a dangerous precedent. To quote from the Parish Pump a posting from Ken Parish, a legal academic,

"The real concern of publishers is that the Aust approach to accepting local jusidiction in internet publication disputes will spread to other countries. If it really becomes a major problem for corporate publishers [which I doubt], they may pressure the US govt to push for an international treaty requiring other countries to adopt the American "single publication" rule. Just as pressure from the world's only economic superpower ensured almost universal adoption of the Copyright Convention and the GATT and WTO [trade] agreements, so a determined US push to protect internet publishers from multiple lawsuits would probably succeed too."

Another view from the UK's James Wallis sourced from MetaFilter online forum,

"The internet's a global medium; you can publish to the entire world with the press of a button. With great power should come at least some responsibility"