1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barack Obama Approves Airstrikes on Iraq, Airdrops Aid

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

One of the few times I agree with the decision. Should have never went in the way we did, should not have pulled out the way we did. Once those two events transpired the way it did...

If you are against this please tell me why and it better be more than the templated "I hate Obama".

Take a look at this and see what kind of a clusterfuck Iraq is today:

[​IMG]

Story here: http://online.wsj.com/articles/iraqi-militants-seize-christian-villages-1407404503

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't think we're ever going to be free of that yoke. Air strikes will only go so far and it'll have the same effect as the Israeli attacks in Gaza. In other words, Al Qaeda will milk the civilian casualties for all its worth, creating even more unrest in the country.

So we either let the country go to hell in a hand basket (as if it's not already there), or we go in and finish the job properly. Problem is, there isn't a politician who has the intestinal fortitude to do what needs to be done. And that's a methodical and thorough eradication of Al Qaeda.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I don't think there is a way to finish the job properly. Even sending in 100K troops and occupying again would just be delaying what is happening now. Oh, and it may change the name of the group causing trouble but this region is tribal, divided by religion worse than Ireland and will have to sort it out by themselves.

4. ethics

I have to agree with Shiny that there IS no way to make it right. So my question is this, do we allow Christians and Yezdeni (Zoroastrians) to perish in very violent ways?

5. ShinyTop

We cannot stop it. Maybe offer to fly them to countries, to include ours, who might accept them. I think we have learned we do not need to fight there short of a national interest. I only see political interest there.

ethics likes this.
  6. Biker

Reminds me of an old story.

Three strangers strike up a conversation in the passenger lounge in the Bozeman, Montana airport, while waiting for their respective flights..

One is an American Indian passing through from Lame Deer, another is a Cowboy on his way to Billings for a livestock show and the third passenger is a fundamentalist Arab student, newly arrived at Montana State University from the Middle East..

Their discussion drifts to their diverse cultures. Soon, the two Westerners learn that the Arab is a devout, radical Muslim and the conversation falls into an uneasy lull.

The cowboy leans back in his chair, crosses his boots on a magazine table, tips his big sweat-stained hat forward over his face, and lights a cigarette. The wind outside is blowing tumbleweeds around, and the old windsock is flapping; but still no plane comes.

Finally, the American Indian clears his throat and softly he speaks, 'At one time here... my people were many... but sadly, now we are few.'

The Muslim student raises an eyebrow and leans forward, 'Once my people were few,' he sneers, 'and now we are many. Why do you suppose that is?'

The cowboy removes his cigarette from his mouth and from the darkness beneath his Stetson says in a smooth drawl . . .

'I reckon that's 'cause we ain't played Cowboys and Muslims yet.'

ethics likes this.
  7. ethics

Good one.

I don't know how they got inside and not get killed. But here's VICE inside ISIS and unreal footages:

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

This is one of those "between a rock and a hard place" situations. I was surprised to hear that Obama had okayed the airstrikes, but these people have to learn to live with one another on their own.

9. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

My problem is the ridiculously pathetic response. It's my understanding, via Allen West, that we dropped a grand total of...

...500 lb bombs. Two.

Why bother, if this is all it is?

ethics likes this.
  10. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Tactical airstrikes that are not followed up by a coordinated ground support is actually detrimental to our interests. It just pisses them off to the point where they will fight harder.

There are three major groups that were forced to play together when Iraq was created in 1920. A three-sided fight that makes Northern Ireland with their Catholic/Protestant "Troubles" look like a Kindergarten schoolyard fight.

We fought in Iraq to give them the opportunity to have a type of government where they had freedom. You know what? They chose not to have something like that. Either through active fighting against us, or not fighting for it themselves.

You know what? FUCK THEM. F-U-C-K T-H-E-M and the camel they rode in on. They can all go back to being desert nomads and fuck their goats whenever they want to. Too many of my battle brothers and sisters paid with their lives to give them that chance, and they didn't want it.

11. ShinyTop

Years ago I made this post. Update the names and I still feel the same.

We Owe Who What?

I hear on this board and others that we owe the Iraqi’s finishing the job we started. I admit I may be getting slow but I am trying to figure out why we owe them anything
    How can we owe them anything when we have given them a gift than many in the world would love to have and will never see, the freedom to chart their own course?
    We have removed a murdering tyrant.
    We have attempted to provide security for their country.
    We have enabled and assisted in the formation of a constitution.
    We have provided means for them to elect their own government.
    We have trained and are training police and military security forces.
    We have lost the promise of over 3000 lives and uncountable injuries, physical and mental, in the young people of our country.
    We have spent trillions of dollars in the above and the rebuilding of infrastructure, in some cases, to a better state than pre 2003 or 1991.
    And now, more than four years after the invasion we are still repaid with more deaths in Iraq, more billions a week spent on the war.
    We owe them nothing more than what we have given them. They must earn the rest of the way themselves. If what they want is to fight until one tribe, one cult, one sect, is in charge of each section of their country, who is George Bush, who is the USA to tell them no, to stand in their way and die?
    If Bush and company are truly wanting the Iraqi’s to decide their own future they need to stand back, go home, and let it happen. Our continued presence is only prolonging what must happen and costing us lives, money, prestige, and the ability to respond elsewhere when it is truly needed.

12. ethics

13. Copzilla

Exactly. He dropped two bombs so he could say bombs (plural). That is it. He doesn't give a fuck.

14. ethics

Worst president ever. History will fucking destroy him.

tke711 likes this.
  15. ethics

Some good news from the Kurd section. I think out of all the people who are competent it's not the pure Muslims but a diversity of religions:

From NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/world/middleeast/iraq.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

16. Copzilla

Maybe there were more than two... I certainly hope so. Hard to trust the media on something like this.

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Im actually shocked the Kurds still like us. We fucked them over in both iraq wars when the ponheads in the puzzle palace refused to assist them further when they were being slaughtered by huessain. From what I remember they loved us beyond compare for stopping him commiting genocide but then we dropped them like it was hot once O declared we left Iraq better than we found it and hit the links. "Mission accomplished" indeed. Funny how the msm doesnt harp on that gaffe and beat it lime a battered wife like they did Bush welcoming home a single carrier from a deployment after completing THIER mission.

Copzilla likes this.
  18. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I think we should straighten out Iraq instantly by installing a Kurd as president/prime minister/chief agitator and call it a day.

19. Biker

:lolaway-5:

[​IMG]

20. ethics

Shots fired:

"Great nations need organizing principles, and 'Don't do stupid stuff' is not an organizing principle." Hillary on Obama.