1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bang Bang You're Dead

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I just watched a Showtime Original Movie on school violence, Band Bang You're Dead . It was based on a play of the same name, the script of which can be downloaded in PDF format from BangBangYoureDead.com

Both the movie and the play make some, IMHO silly correlations between video games and hunting with school violence, but at the core of it is apparently what an intense pressure cooker schools have become, with bullying at the center of it. Obviously, any kid that makes a bomb or steals and uses a gun is the problem. I guess the need to understand how things can get this far is more to the point.

I'm 52, and I don't ever recall things being so bad in school that this would even be a remote possibility. Usually a bully got his come uppins in a field off campus after school, even if it took 2 or 3 guys to do it. Is it worse for kids these days? Or is there just no outlet or no escape from perceived impossible situations? Or have we as a society somehow raised a generation of kids that are so 'sensitized' that things we took for normal kids stuff when we were younger are now perceived to be so egregious that the response occasionally becomes fatal?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A combination of having mommy complain to the teacher about you being picked on, daddy always telling you to be a man and walk away from a fight, etc...

The boys these days are pansies for the most part, which is why many, like in the school shootings, can not get any school "victories" and have to get in drastic, including suicidal.

Just my opinion.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I am a couple years older than you. School in my day was ordered. You did not lip off to teachers. There were bullies but at school they could not get by with anything so school was a refuge. And I think most parents had the same attitude as my parents. Don't come home complaining about getting punished at school because you will get the same twice at home. My instructions were that I had better not be a problem to my teachers.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I would say that it is the school administrators that are the biggest pansies by far! They are too afraid to tell Johnnie's mother to shut her pie hole because Johnnie is an asshole to his teachers. They are too afraid to tell Susan's father that Susan just isn't quite bright enough to be in honors English class. They are definitey too afraid to tell Shaniqua's mother to SHUT HER FUCKING TRAP because "niggardly" is a god damned WORD! Look it up, you stupid bitch!

Whew...that felt good. Sorry, but you gave me flashbacks of when I thought I was going to be an awesome math teacher. Sorry, but public school administrators are too afraid of stupid parents who don't know the first thing about education. And teachers may be willing to discipline and to actually EDUCATE students, but they must do what the <strike>administrators</strike> parents tell them to do.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

rofl!

Agreed. :)