1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad news for Lott apologists

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Seems that the story that Lott was simply being nice to an old man when he made his famous remarks praising Strom Thurmond's presidential aspirations is a lot of crap. He is on tape saying the same thing on other, earlier occasions -- in addition to his other anti-civil rights activities over 40 years. And Bush has walked away from him and wants Lott to go. Sorry guys, looks like Mr. Lott is dead meat. Two stories below.

Excerpts:

Tape shows Trent said it 3rd time
    KNIGHT-RIDDER

WASHINGTON - Sen. Trent Lott praised Republican colleague Strom Thurmond, saying, "He should have been President," during a ceremony on Capitol Hill in October 2000, a videotape of the event shows.

That marks at least the third time Lott (R-Miss) publicly heaped praise on Thurmond (R-S.C.), the presidential candidate of the segregationist States' Rights Party in 1948, in a way that suggested Lott approved of Thurmond's anti-civil rights platform.

Similar remarks at Thurmond's 100th birthday party Dec. 5 sparked a national uproar. Lott also lamented Thurmond's loss at a 1980 campaign rally for Ronald Reagan.

Lott, the incoming Senate majority leader, has apologized repeatedly, saying he got carried away by the spirit of the Dec. 5 party and did not mean to suggest that the nation would have been better off with Thurmond's social policies.

But on a C-SPAN tape made public yesterday, Lott is heard outside the Capitol on a sunny day in October 2000 again lamenting that Thurmond lost the presidency.

More at:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/44540p-41952c.html

More excerpts:

Bush pulling strings for Lott replacement

By KENNETH R. BAZINET
    DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - President Bush wants Tennessee Sen. Bill Frist to replace Trent Lott as Senate majority leader, but he doesn't want any White House fingerprints on the job, sources said yesterday.

In the latest indication that Lott has become toxic for the White House, Bush met yesterday with House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) to discuss his legislative agenda. Lott was conspicuously absent, and the White House seemed in no hurry to take calls from the Mississippi senator or his staff.

"The signal is being sent from the White House: 'Get us a new guy,'" said a top GOP congressional source.

Some of Lott's stalwarts have begun bowing to the inevitable. "It's clearly turned," a key Lott loyalist told the Daily News. "I don't think he can make it as majority leader."

More at:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/44491p-41916c.html

And as usual, the cartoonists give the picture clearly with a minimum of words. See:

http://www.uclick.com/client/nyt/ta/

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

LMAO

Its becoming pretty crystal clear the guy is an old school southern racist.

At first I was displeased with the media and dems and jesse etc. for jumping all over the guy - I figured he was just over-complimenting an old friend at his party.

But apparently Lott is quite serious in his belief that the country would be a better place had his segregationist pal won the presidency.

Best interview I heard featured a young black gent whose simple response was 'aww - he just took his hood off by accident'.

Time to take Lott out of the oven - he is now COOKED.

Pathetic.

3. Robert Harris

Agree that he is cooked. Still rare but will be well done and crispy pretty soon.

Here's a nice description of him from a good column:

Except:

The suspicions have been growing stronger as the Apology Tour moves along: Trent Lott, at the very core of his being, may not be a racist at all. He's looking increasingly like something even worse: A craven opportunist, ready to abandon his life's most fervent passions at the first risky caucus call.

We all know the type: If Trent had come from Park Slope instead of Pascagoula, he'd probably be a lesbian.

More at:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion...8,0,6238647.column?coll=ny-opinion-columnists

And another great cartoon:

http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-walt-april.gallery

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Well, I guess it's time for him to go. How about giving him a lifetime membership to the NAACP?

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, you'd think the Dems would want Lott to stay on as Majority Leader. This thing has legs, and they could exert quite a bit of influence over him...which is probably exactly why the Republicans are going to can his ass.

6. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

IMO, this issue is baloney.

1948? 54 years ago?
    Please pardon my old memory, but I believe even Thurmond got over the old south deal regarding segregation sometime around 1980. 22 years ago!
    Those were different times.

It takes time to evolve. Time to change our minds. Time to realize that what we KNEW, what we grew up with, is no longer the way things should be, or the way things are today.
    We evolve, we learn.

To try to equate what we believe and live today with how things were 20-50 years ago is, in my opinion, baloney.

The jackels in the media are having a jolly time.
    The men that would like to have Lott's job are having a jolly time.

I couldn't possibly care less what happens to Lott.
    But, the development of this story is nonsense, wholly taken out of historical context.

IMO
    Regards,

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I sort of agreed with you until Lott came out and said he was now for affirmative action and would vote for MLK holiday. How two faced does one get before it is acknowledged?

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

i also sort of agreed, but the guy has expressed these sentiments repeatedly in the last few years.

he hasnt 'grown out' of anything. hes a back-pedalling 2 faced racist politician... and the umps yelling 'steeeeee-rike THREE! YER OUTTA THERE!'

;)

9. Robert Harris

I guess that is part of his evolution. He has grown into a second face.

10. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Hey!
    I was talking about the value of the issue.
    I was talking about the historical perspective.
    I never said the man wasn't an ass.
    ;)
    Regards

11. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

Coot, ya' speak as though there are no Democrats around, anymore. LOL
    I'm not so sure any good is going to come from keeping Lott in place. There would have been SOME leverage for the Dems, if he'd have kept his mouth shut with one apology. The Dems are wise to not press the issue anymore than they have. Any party would be wise to back off until something happens from within Lott's. Lott has now pissed of the right wingers, when he said he now was in favor of segregation, where once he siad that, lost his base support. As to the BET interview, personally, I think he was better off not trying to explain what he meant by """"" Yeah, he was really talking about something else. I see this siuation very similar to the ole' Gingrich days in some respects. Me thinks Lott is racist, he is an ass, and now, he has proven that he will (good or bad) sell out his party to save his own ass.

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

It is time for Lott to resign as Senate Majority leader. Whether he is or is not a racist is irrelevant and so are his remarks at Strom's birthday bash. The simple fact is his supporters both on the street and in politics have lost confidence in him and his former allies are distancing themselves. That scenario for any leader dictates they should step down from their leadership position.

Now is the time for him to act to turn a negative into a positive by the way he steps down and what he says in doing so as well as what he does in the upcoming year.

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I think the GOP had decided to give up Lott almost immediately; after all, not one of them has brought up that card-carrying KKK Grand Wizard, Robert Byrd.

SM

14. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

lol Steve, and sshhhhh he's a democrat, too.

15. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I know. And I think this is one reason why the Dems are staying relatively quiet...they don't want their skeletons brought out of the closet. :)

SM

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Lott should step down right now! Yes, I think he is an old-school Southern racist, but something else is bothering me here, namely, hypocrisy. Some of the finger pointers are no better than he is--they just haven't been caught yet.

Allene

17. Robert Harris

18. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Sadly, the link to the movie reel is dead (at least to Media Player).

Thanks for the link to the party platform. Instead of praising the man, Lott should have been pushing bringing him up on charges.

With a nod to jfcjrus, I understand the times were different and Strom did evolve and move on. However, even George Wallace publicly apologized for he past. Strom Thurmond should have done at least as much.

Again, with a nod to jfcjrus, Lott is an ass, shouldn't have lasted this long and the cry from the Republicans for him to "step down" from the Majority Leader position is just a dodge. The man should resign as a human being from public life and become a footnote in titled book "What not to do if you are ever a politician!".

19. Robert Harris

Let us keep in mind that Strom moved on only after blacks were given the right to vote in his state. If he had had his way and klept them from voting he would not have had to moderate his rhetoric.

But it does look like Lott is dead meat now -- he being the onlly one who doesn't know it.

Nice cartoon today:

/www.uclick.com/client/nyt/jd/