1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up Favorites

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Is there a way to make a copy of all the URLs in my Internet Explorer Favorites list? Last year I lost them all when my hard drive failed. I'd like to save the whole thing as a unit, if possible, and send to my offsite Internet storage area.

Thanks.

Allene

2. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

What OS are you using, Allene? There is a "Favorites" folder that is a cinch to backup, but it is in different locations in different versions of Windows.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sunriser,

I'm using Windows XP Professional. I'm off for a walk now, so I won't be able to get back to you again for awhile. Thanks for your help.

Allene

4. Sunriser13

Then your folder will be located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Identity\Favorites

... where "Identity" is whatever you have personally on your machine, "Allene" or "Bosslady" for example. In that folder are all the shortcuts to your favorite web sites... :)

I sometimes work directly in that folder to organize the shortcuts into different folders to make them easier to handle. :idea:

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I know where the folder is. What I'd like to do, if it is possible, is place a copy of the folder in a safe offsite storage place. I have such a place on the Internet, but my Favorites folder consists of many, many other folders stored inside that one area. Is there a way to copy the UNIT without having to copy the individual folders? I know how to copy the individual folders to my offsite storage area, but it's such a lot of work to do that.

Thanks.

Allene

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Yes

Just copy the whole UNIT. The same way you would have copied the individual folders.

7. mikeky

mikeky Member

A convenient way is to make a single zip file of all the favorites folder if you have something like WinZip.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Bruzzes,

I tried that with my Internet storage place, but Favorites appears with a star in front of it and when I double-click on it to transfer it to the list that I want uploaded to the storage site, it opens up to display all the folders, which in turn open up to display all the stuff I put in there. When I'm adding stuff to the offsite storage place, it is in the form of individual files added to folders that I've created at the site. I don't think I can do what I want there with Favorites.

I'd be happy just to get a printed list of URLs.

Allene

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Mikeky,

I do have WinZip, so I'll try that. I noticed it was one of the options but was trying to figure out a way to put it in my offsite storage area first. I've given up on that one.

Thanks.

Allene

10. Sunriser13

Allene, will your offsite storage not let you simply transfer a folder with sub-folders? After all, the Favorites is only a regular folder pretty much like any other... I used to simply drag and drop the folders to mine.

I'll do a little hunting - I remember seeing a little proggy somewhere that allows you to list and print the contents of a directory.

11. Sunriser13

OK, I found it, and it's called "Directory Lister", believe it or not... I've used this program before, but lost it when I reformatted last week. One of the neatest things about it is that you can create a "web page" with hyperlinks to all your favs.

Lots of download locations here:
    http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/60587.shtml

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sunriser,

Thanks so much for the URL. I'll take a look at it tomorrow--gotta go out this evening.

I'll give my Internet storage site another try later, but on my other attempts it kept opening Favorites to display the other folders instead of transferring them.Meanwhile, I've got everything downloaded to a floppy.

Last year when my computer crashed, it was just a couple of weeks after Windows XP came out. Of course my new machine came with it. My Iomega zip drive refused to work with XP (not to mention pretty darn near everything else I had), and Iomega had no driver for it. I lost everything, so its offsite storage for me from now on!

Allene

13. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

You can also export your favorites and have it saved as an HTML file. Then upload it to a website and have access to your favorites anywhere.

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sir Joseph,

Neat! I can probably learn more here in a couple of hours than I could in a week of trawling the Microsoft knowledge base.

Thanks.

Allene

15. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

The only thing is, is that it won't be in folders. I THINK the new one page result will be grouped by folders but I'm not sure. If any of you guys need a space on the web to put your stuff, let me know. I have a place until April.