1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backgammon or Cribbage or CHESS anyone?

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by Domh, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

I play both on MSN Zone.

Handle is TheDomhain

Cmon! Bring it on! Choose a room and a table number and Ill be there.

:thumbsup:

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

What no chess?? ;)

I used to frequent the Game Zone regularly to play chess.

I ran into this one guy who handed me my ass like three times straight one day. For about two weeks thereafter I looked him up almost nightly to play him and as sure as the sun would rise this guy kicked the living crap out of me.

Finally after about 2 weeks and 50 or so beatings this fellow informs me I was the most persistent player he had ever come across and that he felt the need to cleanse his soul.

Seems my opponent confessed to running ChessMasster in a separate window at expert level and letting the software counter my moves. Also turns out my opponent was like 12 years old :headsmack:

Can't really complain though because towards the end although I was still getting beat rather badly I was hanging around for quite a while :)

Maybe it's time for a return to the zone to give it another whirl ;)

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

I play chess on ICC

http://www.chessclub.com

Its a pay site, they keep ratings that reflect FIDE and have tournaments and events where you can watch the grandmasters play. Worth every penny for the serious chess freak. Ive been a member almost 8 years now!

But yes, Mid, Ill join you on the zone for a game of chess if you like!

Now?

4. Domh

Domh Full Member

Thats another good reason to play on ICC - no cheating allowed. Folks watch, theres software to watch for it etc.

When a 1300 player starts playing 1900 player moves out of the blue, alarms go off.

;)

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Sounds like a great place to check out and I will make it a point to do so.

I would also enjoy a good game of chess although it's been a while.

As long as you're prepared for the typical screw ups through the first few rounds I'm sure we'd have a great time playing.

Will shoot you a PM when I have some time and I see you online.

This weekend is tough as my son is home on leave from the USAF and he's been keeping me rather busy (enjoyably so I might add).

Talk to you soon.

Mid

6. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

How does MSN Zone compare with Yahoo Games, Dom?

I have been playing backgammon, spades, and cribbage for years on yahoo and have been happy with it. However, I'm not against trying something new.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

Never touch Yahoo. I find their registration process a bit nazi-esque and a general pain in the ass. I also find their software sorely lacking.

If you really want to play chess, chessclub.com is the only option. If you want a casual game, I suggest zone for sure.

I play cribs, backgammon on msn zone daily.

Any time! Just PM me!

8. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'll give it a shot sometime this week. If I like it, I'll PM you to play a game.

9. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

hubby plays chess on yahoo... I use yahoo and shizmoo... never played at msn...... hmmmmmmm :)

10. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

One day I'll learn how to play chess. People have tried to teach me many times, but I just can't pick it up for some reason. I'm smart when it comes to certain things, but trying to understand two things in life, chess and football, I just can't seem to grasp them :(

11. hipifreq

hipifreq Resident Hippy

If you really like chess, and don't want to pony of the fundage for chessclub.com, then I would recommend chess.net. Their interface is easy to use, and is available in Win32 stand-alone, Java applet, and telnet versions. I don't recommend telnet unless you really hanker for that old-time, mainframe feel.

The system keeps track of your rating, and can match you against other players. You can play with or without a clock, and the matching system is pretty good.

I'd love to play with others from GA! I've got a big test tomorrow morning, or I'd say let's go tonight. Praps we can have an "offical 'let's play chess'" thread?

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Hmmm...I am surprised I was permitted to dig up such an old thread....but anyway:

I am a huge backgammon fan and have been playing since I was 6 or so...yes, I watched Gone With the Wind, Blade Runner, and played backgammon...all at the same time. I just logged in to MSN Zone after having been absent for a couple years. I was disappointed to see that they changed their format and there are no longer "rooms" and different levels of play. Am I missing something, or is all that gone?

Also, I did some searching and signed up for FIBS and played a telnet game and also found a nice web-based interface for FIBS here; if anyone is interested.

13. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

FIBS is definitely the way to go for backgammon. It beats the pants off of XP's built in backgammon.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Didn't know where to put this one so I figured I'd resurrect an old thread.

Apparently I know something FIBS doesn't.....

Clipboard01.jpg