1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian wines

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by claire, Jan 25, 2003.

1. claire

claire Registered User

2. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Worth looking into Claire. Worth drinking too. Also try www.southcorpwines.com.au. They, Southcorp, have a stable of brands that are top quality.

3. claire

claire Registered User

Thanks for the URL Ditch :)

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You're welcome Claire.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

How decent is Aussie wine anyway?

6. claire

claire Registered User

Some are really good depending on the type of wine you like.

IMHO reds are better than the whites(at least those I have tasted).For white wines give a try to the wines
    from new zeeland:)

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

Aussie wine is generally excellent and well priced.

One of the best bottles you can buy for under 15 bucks is from Rosemount. I highly suggest their Shiraz as it is SUPERB. Look for the black label reserve - I get it up here for about 13 bucks.

Great with steak, stew, black olives with crusty bread etc.

I strongly suggest any wine from Rosemount. Affordable and excellent wine.

;)

8. ethics

Excellent, I shall see if any store around here sells any. :)

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Going a bit off topic.

Has anyone else begun to wonder about Claire -- whether she is as young as she says? First she demonstrates expertise in tech matters, making most of us look quite klutzy, then she reveals that she is a conneseur of beers -- and now wiines from around the world. Wonder what's next. :)

10. ethics

And the fact that she is a participant of this forum.

I think she is a gorgeus model/professor hiding behind a persona. ;)

11. Robert Harris

Well, let's hope she is a gorgeous model -- the women here could use a little more competition. And we sure don't need a professor, we have enough pontificators..

12. claire

claire Registered User

Don't worry Robert I am no professor nor pontificator.
    I said I TASTED(this means a very small quantity of wine)
    My dad and mum are DRINKING the wine and I go on
    with water after my tasting.
    For the rest I agree with Domhain.Rosemount estate delivers wonderful Shiraz(Try also the Pennfold's wines
    if you have the opportunity...but rather expensives)

For the gorgeous model you'll have to wait 2 or three years;) :)

Have a great week end everyone!!:)

13. Robert Harris

I'll be waiting, then, hopefully at the head of teh line of admireres. :love:

14. claire

claire Registered User

ROFL:haha: :)

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Claire, There are indeed some lovely NZ whites. They make some great Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc and the Marlborough region has a repuation for high quality whites.

Oz makes some very good Chardonnays and Semillon also in South Australia's Barossa, Hunter Valley in NSW which is known for its Shiraz also and Western Australia's Margaret River region.

You are probably correct to say the reds have earned the best reputation overseas with Penfold's Grange Hermitage [Shiraz] the stand out in quality and high price. However Rosemount as mentioned above is great as are Lindemans, Wynns and Penfolds, all Southcorp brands, to name the better known ones. Cabernet blends and Shiraz are the most popular varieties and Pinot Noir is gaining in popularity.

16. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Now, Robert!!! You are corrupting the morals of a fine young lady!!!

* I'm second in line waiting for those model pictures in two years *

I enjoy a good glass of wine now and then as my meds preclude much alcohol consumption. I enjoy Merlot, Zinfandel, and Chablis the most. I use wine a lot in cooking as it adds a lot of flavor to dishes. The alcohol cooks off but the flavor remains.

17. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Mikepd,

The tickets for the pictures are on sale here;)

More seriously,you're damned right about wine in cooking.

You made me hungry.I'm gonna see if I can cook something special(with wine of course):)

18. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Claire, that's my secret to why everyone who has tasted my cooking thinks I know what I'm doing! Wine covers up many things. ;) Seriously, my Italian background is where I was exposed to a variety of wine based recipes. When I was a child, I always has a taste of wine at dinner. Later, a sip of espresso (now I like it with Sambuca but again the meds get in the way) and of course, cappuccino.

Cooking is the way I show my appreciation for those I care about. I put my care and creativity into every dish I make. I have always believed that good food and good people make for good times. With family it is a chance to become even closer, to learn what each is doing, share experiences, draw strength to face whatever lies ahead. When we are with friends, it renews the social contract. reaffirming we are more alike than apart, again sharing experiences and drawing strength to face the future. We recharge our emotional batteries as well as our physical needs.

Goodness, a simple thread on wine and I do ramble.

Mike

19. claire

claire Registered User

I could not agree more with you Mike

:thumbsup:

20. Robert Harris

Nice post, Mike. But I think you are just trying to get to the head of the line. :)