1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio/ Video question

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by bruzzes, Nov 27, 2002.

  1. bruzzes

    bruzzes Truthslayer

    After three visits, and 2 hrs of talking to the experts at Micro-Center, I admit my frustration at failing to understand what hardware I need to download an analog Audio/Visual file from my 8mm Canon camcorder to my hard-drive.

    I was told to purchase a product," Pinnacle Studio AV" for analog camcorders that would have the necessary hardware, a capture card, and a program that would capture the file for editing and movie-making. I brought in all relevant material to explain my computer hardware and the manual for the Canon 8mm Recorder.

    After $129.00 for that purchase, and a $9.00 purchase of RCA audio/visual Dubbing cables, I attempted the installation of the products.

    Everything went well, and when I attempted to connect the cables found that only one input was on the capture card. Visual only.
    While it solved the problem and imported the file into the program it failed to download the sound associated from my camcorder tape.

    There is a 15% fee to return an open box, and the program is registered.
    I will attempt to de-register the product and return it to the store.

    My problem still remains. What do I need to be able to connect the two C-150 AV cables to my computer.

    Can anyone help me in this matter?
  2. mikeky

    mikeky Member

    Can you not output the sound to your sound card input? For what it's worth, I have Pinnacle Studio (but have a digital camcorder and firewire card) and think it's excellent.
  3. bruzzes

    bruzzes Truthslayer

    Thats just it, there is no where to plug the other end in.
    Unfortunatly I don't have a firewire connection either on the camcorder or on my computer.

    The C-150 AV cable is a Y-tipped cable one white and one yellow straight plug at both ends. There is a place on the VCR that is white and yellow Audio in and Video in to hook it up to the TV to view the tape.

    On the capture card there is only the connection for the video in.
    The card consists of the video in connection and a S-1 video in, and also has the Video out and s-1 video out connection.

    As for the sound card, I am quite ignorant as to where it is located.

    I have a connection for line in, line out and microphone. Is that the sound card? I have my speaker system connected to one of those connections. However it is a different straight plug type. Long and thin.

    I am quite lost here...
    I have a Nvidia TNT 64 sound card 32mb but don't know what it really looks like in the computer.

    Is there some type of adaptor that would accept my one cable connection and change the other to a type that would insert in the line-in connection?
  4. -Ken

    -Ken Guest

    The Nvidia TNT 64 is actually your video card (a pretty good one at that) and the sound card is the three small holes (one of which you described as having your speaker plugged into).

    The connector you are talking about
    on the end of your cable is probably a
    RCA connector. Does it look like this?
    If so, there is an adapter called RCA to 1/8 inch stereo jack (Male)which might work.

    Or maybe something like this...
    which can be ordered here.
  5. bruzzes

    bruzzes Truthslayer


    Your top picture is the type of cables that I have, although one is yellow and the other one white.

    The long thin plug above the yellow mustard plug in your second picture is the type of plug that goes into my sound card.

    I've attached a picture of some cable adapter. Is this what I need to use to enter the sound?

    This is where I get confused. The cable picture I attached has two female connectors. I know the yellow end goes into the capture card for the video in, would I connect the other end to the white connection on the adapter and plug the 1/8 male connector into the line in on my sound card?(leaving the other connector dangling?)
  6. -Ken

    -Ken Guest

    I'm a little out of my area of expertise but I think that is what you want to do. My guess is your camera has only mono recording capability and the "Y" cable would use both ends if it was stereo.

    The little 1/8" plug goes into the Audio In jack on the computer.

    I have to warn you, I've never tried to do this before, proceed at your own risk. (actually, let me see what google has to say).
  7. -Ken

    -Ken Guest

  8. bruzzes

    bruzzes Truthslayer

    Thank You Ken.

    I will attempt to re-install everything and buy the cable adapter and see if it works.

    I will post back to let you know if I am successful.

Share This Page