1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention Dell Users...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by bruzzes, Aug 10, 2005.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Dell users, Please advise on what programs can be removed from Startup (msconfig) without removing the program. I have included the programs in ADD/REMOVE that were pre-installed with computer.

Second, I have included a list of the icons showing on the taskbar.

I will try to upload the prosseses running and the Startup Programs from Mike Lin's Startup Monitor HKLM.

I can also show the hijackThis log if asked.

My purpose is to remove un-needed quick launch programs that start automatically but are not needed until accessed.

My additional intention is to provide a thread precedent for future searched topics in the database from Dell users that provides useful information in the Bits and Bytes Forum.

Discussion is open from any or all sources concerning Dell products.

Any help will be appreciated.

ADD/Remove List with Dell Products installed

Adobe Acrobat -Reader 6.0.3 update
    Adobe Reader 6.0.1
    ATI -Software Uninstall Utility
    ATI Control Panel
    Ati Display DriverDell Digital Jukebox driver
    Dell Driver Reset Tool
    Dell Media Experience
    Dell Picture Studio v 3.0
    Dell ResourceCD
    Dell Support
    Dell Support 3.1
    Dell System Restore
    Intel Storage Manager
    Intel PRO Network Connection Software v9.2.4.11
    Jasc Paint Shop Photo Albulm 5
    Live Reg (Symantic Corporation)
    Live Update (Symantec Corporation)
    MusicMatch for Windows Media Player
    MusicMatch Jukebox
    Sonic Audio module
    Sonic DLA
    Sonic RrecordNow Data
    Sonic Update Manager
    Web CyberCoach 3.2 Dell

Icons showing in the taskbar

Dell Alert
    Norton (Symantec)
    Zone Alarm (free)
    Dell Support
    ATI (Graphic Card tray icon)
    Volume button

Additional Info

I removed the AOL and Earthlink pre-installed programs so they do not show up on my lists.

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

Bruzzes, to be totally honest - and Ive worked ALOT of Dells - the absolute best thing to do with a Dell on arrival is a TOTAL FORMAT OF THE DRIVE.

Ream that puppy slow and good. Leave nothing behind. Scorch the earth with 1s and 0s.

Then do a manual install of WindowsXP from the WINDOWS CD. THEN use the Dell drivers CD and manually install only the drivers you need to get online and get all the Windows updates and SP2, then turn on the windows firewall, such as it is, and go out looking for updates to drivers and complete the picture... then ghost the puppy so you have a nice install image.

Slipstreaming is even better, but more complex.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20040908/index.html

Dont waste time trying to purge AOL from your registry, itll never go away.

Accept the cleansing colonic of the full format. "Its the only way, Luke."

;)

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

1. Here is a good link about what all the services do and what you can set them at: http://forum.3dpixelnet.com/showthread.php?t=1926&page=1&pp=15
    (where did blkviper.com go???)

2. Remove Adobe reader 6.x.x and install Acrobat Reader 7.0, as it is much faster.

3. After that, it's more an issue of personal preference to what you want running at startup. I remove absolutely everything I can without hurting performance, but that's just me.

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

ISUSPM Startup seems to be some sort of auto-update program by InstallShield that tends to bug me more than deliver actual updates, so I'd say its fine to disable it, though for some reason they don't include a copy in the start menu, so if you need the updates from it you'll have to re-enable it. I wouldn't worry though, more often than not it doesn't deliver anything useful.

mmTask is MusicMatch, unless you use MusicMatch (I prefer iTunes myself) you can delete that. As far as the two Dell related items, it won't hurt if you turn them off, though if you are using the Dell Media Experience program you'll want to keep them.

5. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I agree. We use Dell exclusively here at work. The first thing we do when we get a new machine is delete the partitions and reformat the drive. We then only load the OS and required drivers.

The machine is just much more stable when you do that.

6. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thank you for your replies.

I am aware of the BlackViper page, although the "BlackViper" has gone on a Sabbatical...

I also appreciate the comments about re-installing without the Dell junk.

That is an option at any time for me.

I know most of what I want to do, but was rather thinking more for the other Dell users who may not know what these programs are, what they are doing, or whether some may be deleted. (like AOL and Earthlink in my case.)

Most experienced users will re-install. Those who need support may be better off leaving the Dell support systems alone as a watchdog to correct major mistakes.

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

Everything that was on the drive from the factory, theoretically at least, can be reinstalled from the included CDs, including the support software etc.

You will have a MUCH faster and more stable machine - and youll learn alot in the process - if you ream it and build the drive back up yourself.

PM or email me with any questions, bro.

:thumbsup:

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Thanks Domh,

I have re-formatted at least 20 times in the last five years.

It has become increasingly troublesome as my wife has hundreds of files that are considered essential to her well being.

Then there are the 2 dozen changes to the O/S like classic view, unhide folders, performance etc. to make.
    Then there are the Windows updates...

Then the scanner and printer.

Then a firewall and antivirus program.

Then the 15 essential programs I use like AdAware, Spybot, Script Sentry,
    Adobe, CrapCleaner, Everest, Google, IE Spell, IE5 Web Accessories, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Quicken, Mailwasher, Macromedia.

So it is not that simple anymore.

Thanks for the help you offered and I may have a few questions when that time comes.

9. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Have you used the File and Setting Transfer Wizard? It really works pretty well.

10. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

No. I really don't know how to use it.

I would suppose one needs some type of connection cable from somewhere to somewhere.

11. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I vote to totally delete EVERYTHING related to Musicmatch off your computer, because iTunes exists and it's a lot less demanding on your system than Musicmatch is. If you want a regular music player, go with Winamp. If you can find version 3.0, that, for me, was the "cleanest" and lightest version to ever run on my system. The newer ones are bloated with crap.

Remove all that ATI auto-start up crap. Unless you're heavy into photo manipulation and gaming, you're not going to need the insane amount of controls on-the-fly that the ATI programs offer. Remove them from startup and save yourself the CPU cycles.

Intel Pro network connection software - wtf? I don't have that on my computer, on any of my computers, including the newer laptop, and I'm able to connect to our networks (both wired and wireless) just fine - I vote to kill those suckers as well.

Al those Dell software programs - system restore, update, etc - that's all redundant crap that Windows XP already has, and you're probably more comfortable with the windows versions anyway (and if my mom's computer is any indicator of the software-writing abilities over at Dell, those software packages are caca) - uninstall all that crap.

Here, let me make it easier: I'm copying and pasting your list.

If the font is RED - delete it from the system (uninstall)
    If the font is BLUE - keep it if you use it, otherwise delete it
    If the font is GREEN - uninstall it first, then install the newer version from online
    Regular font - OK, won't hinder your computer's speed at all.

ADD/Remove List with Dell Products installed

Adobe Acrobat -Reader 6.0.3 update
    Adobe Reader 6.0.1

ATI -Software Uninstall Utility
    ATI Control Panel
    Ati Display DriverDell Digital Jukebox driver

Dell Driver Reset Tool
    Dell Media Experience
    Dell Picture Studio v 3.0
    Dell ResourceCD

Dell Support
    Dell Support 3.1
    Dell System Restore
    Intel Storage Manager
    Intel PRO Network Connection Software v9.2.4.11

Jasc Paint Shop Photo Albulm 5 (replace this with PICASA, much better)
    Live Reg (Symantic Corporation)
    Live Update (Symantec Corporation)
    MusicMatch for Windows Media Player
    MusicMatch Jukebox

Sonic Audio module
    Sonic DLA
    Sonic RrecordNow Data
    Sonic Update Manager (note: I read these Sonic programs might corrupt stuff if you remove them, it seems they are more spyware than useful)

Web CyberCoach 3.2 Dell

Icons showing in the taskbar

Dell Alert
    Norton (Symantec)
    Zone Alarm (free)
    Dell Support
    ATI (Graphic Card tray icon)
    Volume button

I'm seeing a lot of red on my screen - I am assuming this is a new computer, so since it's new, I would opt to do as Domh says and reformat that sucker and install only the things YOU want on there.

1 person likes this.
  12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Whew!

What a job!
    You answered ALL my questions, and perhaps help those people who have new Dell Computers.

When I figure out how to use the File and Settings Wizard, I will probably re-format.

It is just that all those programs are New to me and I didn't know whether they were good or not.

13. Arc

Arc Full Member

Bought a high end Dell in 2000 with an OEM Me installed. Later upgraded over the Me with MS XP, (not the Dell OEM version.) Wasn't happy with some things. Did a reformat and a complete clean install of Windows XP. Used XP and certain hardware sites for drivers. Noooo comparison. Everything worked better in everyway without any Dell components.

Subsequently tried to use some Dell OEM drivers for their OEM version of sound and video cards. They sucked. Then used Windows XP or manufactor's drivers for equivalent non OEM hardware and again much better results.

Bad news is if your Dell is under tech support warranty the warranty is no good if you have replaced OEM with regular version of OS.

14. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I live dangerously, and opted out of the warranty.

The hardware is covered and that is all I need.

Any problems I have can be answered by the experts in this forum.