1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention AOL users

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Biker, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Because of the way AOL plays with others, we will be blocking all attempts by AOL to access Global Affairs effective 1 Jan 06.

We did not come to this conclusion lightly, and we've been having a discussion about this for the past 2 weeks. The only solution that protects this site now and in the future is to bar AOL connections.

For those members that do use AOL, this is your warning. On 1 Jan, we flip the switch and all access attempts from AOL will be denied.

(And we don't need any AOL "comments" from non-AOL users in this thread. ;) )

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

For those AOL users who might be looking for an ISP, either for this reason or others, I have to suggest a forum many of us at GA are familiar with. http://www.broadbandreports.com/ has a great number of technical forums as well as a tremendous database of ISP reports and reviews. You can view reviews on a variety of broadband providers, and see exactly what is available in your ZIP code.

There are some other forums at BBR, but we won't talk about those here :whistle:

3. Biker

I should probably add Netscape dialup to this discussion. Since AOL owns Netscape, guess what servers they use for their dialup users?

4. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Just curious, what is AOL doing?

5. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Yeah is this related to the refresh thing or something even worse?

6. Biker

It is related to the refresh issue and I'd prefer to keep that discussion out of this thread.

7. Paul

Paul Registered User

Just curious as to what has been done to try and have GA work with AOL? What has failed to come to this?

8. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I don't use AOL, but I too wonder what is causing a problem. Perhaps a thread should be started in regards to the technical issue.

9. Paul

Paul Registered User

I know I've been gone quite a while, and perhaps there is a thread, but I'd be curious to see the technical justification for this.

10. Biker

The discussion was not public. ;)

11. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Yeah we know it wasn't public and don't want to change the decision, however the technical issues raised would be interesting to know out of curiousity.

I had a friend connect to my website using AOL, and did not see any unusual traffic in the logs nor the intrusion detection. and he let the computer sit for 5 minutes without imput.

12. Biker

Have him sit for 24 hours please and get back to me with the results.

13. Paul

Paul Registered User

OK, does that mean you can't mention it?

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Precisely, we tried working with AOL on this, may still do so, but for now, it's "take it or leave it" from their lot.

The problem is how they utilize their proxies for and by their customers. I can't say more because we are still trying to resolve it with them and started the precautionary move to banning any proxies from AOL to come to this site.

15. Paul

Paul Registered User

Sorry to hear that Leon. I keep seeing mentions of problems with AOL from not just this site but others... can I can't understand what the issues are as we don't have any.

16. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I just found out that because of AOL's use of proxy server, a friend who uses AOL can't leave any comments on my blog--unless I disable Spam Karma, which is keeping the comment spam away. And I won't do that, and he won't use another browser.

I don't claim to understand it at all, but that proxy server thing they do is a real bummer.

17. Paul

Paul Registered User

The thing about AOL is, the vast folks on the Net use it.

18. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

We are willing to cut those people from access to the forum in lieu of the harm that AOL does with their proxies.

There's one current member with AOL here now. Most of the people use a real ISP. :p

19. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

20. RetFireCapt

RetFireCapt In memory of Joshie.

Ah ah, that's a comment. You're a very naughty boy. :happy: