1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attending Conference in S. Africa

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

I've been invited to present at a conference in South Africa in July of 2003... at Technikon S.A., in Stellenbosch, just outside Cape Town.
    http://www.victimology.co.za/
    I'm looking into funding to enable me to attend.

Provided I can do it, any suggestions for preparations, things to do, things <b>not</b> to do, things to be aware of, etc.? Never traveled to this region of the world before.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Also copied this inquiry here as well. :)

3. Sharondippity

Sharondippity Sweetness and Light

Interesting subject matter. What will you be presenting?

4. Advocat

It hasn't been totally settled yet, though I've already been asked to take part in several panels; a few topical concepts which fall within the mandate of my organization (http://www.vaonline.org/) and my own professional experience:
    - Internet victimization
    - Synergistic networking between victim assistance professionals/organizations/related professionals
    - Developing web/internet services, standards and best practices for victim assistance organizations and victims
    - Developing resource sharing between international/national/regional services
    - Online resources for victimologists and related professionals

5. Advocat

Thanks, Bob. I'll keep this in mind while seeking funding...

6. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Its been a long time since I was there Advocat, but some things never change. As far as sight seeing goes make time to drive, on the left hand side of the road, down to Cape Point where the Indian and Atlantic meet. Beautiful scenery. Be careful of the baboons as they are too tame and can get aggro if you have food on you. If you have more time go up the Garden Route from Capetown towards Knysna and George.

Stellenbosch is the wine growing distict in the Cape if your into that. Spend as little as possible time in Johannesburg and use a condom.

7. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    Astles, as always, is right. I am tearing my hair out trying to get a black Afrikaans student, with perfect English and German, into a law school here, so she will not have to return.
    The only current social interest is money, followed by racial hatred. I was jailed in 1978 there, and thought, until this week, things had been ameliorated. They have not.
    First of all, leaving aside hatred of black for white and white for black, rich for poor, there are going to be tribal wars in the north to rival Nigeria, sooner than the government or UN expects. Then, for that matter, the language chaos makes Belgium look civil. The francophones and flams there have at least agreed to hate each other officially, whereas the social caste of Afrikaans speakers does not even allow for racial hatred until one can at least speak the language.
    In short, I cannot think of any person of colour wishing to return to SA after being here, and that is sad. Paton lives.

That having been said, I love the place. Stellenbosch, Afrikaans, by the way, is beautiful, and there are many wines not exported that are well worth the tasting. Since you are American, your speaking English will be accepted without problem.
    Security, in a European sense, is unproblematic, and, if one excepts the aforementioned hatreds, the life style is quite civilised. Education, ironically, is similar to the US, as SA is business oriented, in much the sense we are.
    Any trip to Africa, any part of Africa, is worth the expense and time, and the insight gained will change you and those with whom you worked, just as your mission will change those to whom you speak. Victimology is as interesting there, in their industrial word, as in ours.
    Godspeed.

-M

8. Advocat

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, all! :thumbsup: