1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atkins Diet Had it Right, After All?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 19, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

After years of dismissing the high-fat, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet, the medical establishment is at last putting it to a careful test and finding it might not be the nutritional folly they long assumed.

A small study released Monday found that contrary to expectations, dieters' cholesterol levels do not shoot through the roof, and they take off more weight at least in the short term than do people on a standard low-fat regimen.

My parents went on this diet almost when it first came out, many years ago. My dad just came out from a heart attack and they wanted to change their whole regime, not just diet but exercise, meditation, etc...

I thought they were both nuts and that dad would go by the silvery moon sooner than meant.

Well, I am a donkey's ass, ain't I?

Full story HERE.

2. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Hmm. I guess it makes sense, though I'm no expert on dieting.

Less energy and more fat means when you exercise you siphon more from your fat reserves than your actual energy stores, whereas high carbs and low fats just makes you less reliant on burning off the fat...

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I know no fewer than four people who have lost weight using the Atkin's Diet. I am still in daily contact with three of them, and they have kept the weight off thus far. I can't emphasize enough how important exercise it, though. I have been exercising rigorously since April of this year, and I cut a few bad things out of my diet, mainly non-diet soda. I used to drink way too much soda! Any way, I weighed about 215 pounds in April - the most I ever weighed. I am about 6' tall, by the way. I now weigh about 190 pounds, and I have working hard to bulk up some by lifting weights(calm down, btdude!) for the past few months. I used to be very athletic even beyond my college years, but I let myself go once I met my partner. I feel that I am just about back to my old self again.

By the way, it is very expensive to be on the Atkin's Diet. Meat isn't cheap!

4. Attila

Attila Registered User

But you need to remember one critical fact. When you deprive your system of carbohydrates, your system will adapt to that standard. Then you can get real cravings for carbs. If you give in, it like your body saying "hey we ran out of those, so I'll save a whole bunch". Then weight gain is a bitch. Very hard to get off that diet and not gain fast

5. ethics

Good point. One question though.

If you deprive yourself of carbs, does your system start a craving for it?

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

Youve never experienced a carbohydrate jones?

Its worse than getting off of nicotine - your guts twist up, your head throbs and you start spewing curses and vomiting like one possessed.

it SUCKS.

7. Pyrion

Sounds like fun.

In my case, my metabolism has been on overdrive for the past decade, so I can eat and eat and eat and I still haven't passed the 150 pound barrier.

Unlike my mom, where all she has to do is think about eating and she gains weight. ;)

8. Domh

Domh Full Member

dark seraph - your 20 years old - be prepared for a big and nasty shock in 5 to 10 years.

;)

the atkins diet is the only one that comes close to success, but it misses the key element, retraining your metabolism.

you have to work your muscles to convince your system that things have really changed for the long haul.

read 'body for life'. its the only weight loss body change 'program' that works for almost everybody everytime when followed properly.

9. ethics

You serious? It's that bad?

10. Domh

Domh Full Member

Sure is.

eat a diet of 70% egg and whey based protein, 15% raw fruits and veggies, occasional fish or chicken, 5% carbs.

in one week you will wake up in the middle of the night in a junkie haze willing to trade your soul for a bucket of french fries.

Do that diet - eat small meals 6 times daily and lift weights every other day for 30 minutes, no need to lift heavy weights, just do lots of reps, keep the muscles working, give the protein something to DO, take hour long brisk walks on non weight lifting days and DRINK AT LEAST 4 LITERS OF WATER A DAY!

on SUNDAY...

Gorge on whatever the hell you want.

I guarantee you that you will shed pounds and keep them off.

after 3 months slowly rebalance to include more carbs and less protein. you will find that what you want to eat has also changed. fatty carb loaded foods will make you feel gross - fresh raw veggies and clean foods will make you feel good. its very weird, but works.

it just takes 3 weeks to get in the habit, 4 weeks to see real change and 2-3 months to see SERIOUS change.

i lost 20 pounds in ONE FUCKING MONTH doing this, and 1 year later, having returned to many of my evil ways, the weight has not come back - my metabolism reacts to nominal exercise like walking the way it did when i was young.

11. ethics

No need to convince me on that, Domh. It's not as if I needed dieting but have been a work out fuhREAK forever. I know what exercise does for ones body. :)

12. Pyrion

Well that's why I'm eating healthy already. If I get myself into the habit of eating lots of junk food and that ten years rolls by uneventfully, I'm going to end up gaining several hundred pounds before I'm able to fix my eating habits. ;)

13. Mospaw

Mospaw Sure is hot in here!

So far, I've lost 50 pounds in jsut under 6 months using Atkins. I was fortunate, no carb jones here, either.

I feel better, have more energy, and don't snore like a diesel.

Atkins is very sound, and had many misconceptions floating around. The biggest one is that it's all meat and cheese. Not hardly. I eat lots of non-starchy veggies every day. I also eat bacon, steaks, shrimp, some cheese, and nuts. All sorts of good stuff. Heck, I even found some non-glycemic chocolate that's really really good .... better than Hersheys!

The biggest secret is to drink at least a gallon of water a day to keep your kidneys happy, and to start exercising at least a little bit to keep the juices flowin'.

My wife likes the results so much that she has cut sugar almost entirely out of her diet and is feeling much better as well.

Feel free to PM me for more info, or go to www.atkinscenter.com

14. ethics

No sugars either, Mospaw?