1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At Long Last! Japan's REAL Problem...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

...unproductive workers! I knew it...all that talk about Japanese overproduction was total bunk! ;)

Read all about it at Going Nowhere Fast

SM

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow! Now this is a huge eye opener.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Talk about the ostrich syndrome!!

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I'm pretty surprised by it too. I've seen a lot of these things myself--Japanese employees seemingly everywhere, ready to assist with any and everything--but never thought it was indicative of a larger problem. To me, an American who comes from a largely do-it-yourself society, I thought this was actually efficiency at the extreme; I mean, how many times has a parking garage in NYC been a total hose-job because of people surfing through fully sections with the high hopes of finding that plum parking spot? You don't find that in Japan.

After reading this article, I was pretty shocked to discover that my perception of the truth was pretty false; and now that I've looked at it from the other side, I can name dozens of times when there's been tons of inefficiency staring me right in the face. (Like hotel maids who make up the beds...another who vaccuums...another which cleans the bathroom....and yet another who restocks with toilet paper, etc.).

SM