1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] ASUS AC-56R Wireless Adapter

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Just spent several hours trying to get this thing working in Linux using the vendor provided drivers on the disk. Problem is, the second you try to plug the adapter in, Network Manager freezes up along with any networking related command in terminal.

So.... Got to digging and found this is due to a borked instruction set in the drivers. Fortunately, there's an open source version of the latest driver set which works just fine.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install git
    git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au.git
    cd rtl8812au
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo modprobe -r rtl8812au
    sudo modprobe 8812au

Plug the adapter in and VOILA! Mint sees both the internal and external wifi. Select the one you wish to use and you're off to the races.

[​IMG]

I'll eventually find a source for the Intel internal cards that supports 802.11ac, but for now, this external adapter is working rather well.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Welp, I took this back today. The drivers just aren't stable enough for my needs. Failed DNS lookups, sites just failing to load, and latency through the roof on some applications. Turned the internal card back on and all the issues magically disappeared.

Ordered an Intel 7260 802.11ac internal card this afternoon.