1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus A7N8X Semi Review

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Coot, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I'm building up 2 machines around this board. The first one is now finished. From the first pic, you can see the first problem with the board...namely the capacitors right in front of the CPU socket. It makes for a challenging experience to get the heatsink clips onto the socket.

The bios settings are a bit tricky, but if you do a little bit of RTFM before you start, it's pretty clearly spelled out. The next issue I had with this board was getting a 56K modem installed. At this point, I honestly don't know if the problem is WinXP and the board or the modem and the board or the NVidia drivers and WinXP. I haven't found any information on the problem. I tried to install a software modem or winmodem and it simply would not work. It kept telling me that the 'PCI Simple Communications Controller was invalid." In the second pic, you'll notice an external SupraMax usb modem sitting ontop of the box ;) On the next box, I'll install Win2K and see if the internal modem will install.

Beyond those issues, the board is an overclocker's dream. The FSB setting is completely independent of the RAM speed and the PCI clock. I was able to boost the multiplier on a locked processor to 14 and it didn't flinch.

The onboard sound was a little tricky to get set up, but once there, it really works sweet...not so sweet when the system is overclocked. If you want to overclock this board, it would be preferable to unburden the system and install a separate sound card.

The throughput with the onboard LAN is a tad sluggish, if you want to game with this board, disable the onboard LAN connections and install a 3-Com NIC.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 9.5. The best I've rated any board.

The system specs are:

Asus A7N8X mobo
    512 MB Corsair PC3200 RAM (2 X 256)
    Winfast A180 64 Meg Video Card (8X AGP)
    Athlon XP 2100+
    LiteOn CDRW 24X
    LiteOn DVDRom
    120 GB ATA133 Hard Drive
    ViewSonic VE155b Flat Panel Monitor
    Antec SX635B Case
    Onboard Sound

The guy I'm building these for opted to cheese a bit on the processor and the video card...for now...as he ended up getting two of these rather than one.

2. Coot

All in all, if you want to build a hotrod...start with this badboy.

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Hey Coot,

Looks like a SWEET board.... supports 3G PC3200 DDR ram, 8x AGP, serial ATA.

As far as the capacitors go, Asus is one of those manufacturers that always seem to place them close to the CPU.heheheh Never could figure that out, although I'm sure component placement of a Motherboard is alot more complex that I think it is (well I hope it is anyway) otherwise theres no excuse for some of the components locations.

One thing I did notice is that this borad is full of NVida. North and South bridge are both Nvidia, as well as the Lan.

Of course my next favorite phrase is "use updated drivers.

Heres the Asus LINK to check out.

And also the NVidia LINK for their latest and greatest.

Maybe those will give that LAN a boost.

hope that helps.
    good luck with the new systems.

WINModems are always a PITA>>>>!!!!!

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Nice components. I have the Performance Plus Workstation Case (beige) myself and love it. I also love the Leadtek video cards. Got one myself recently and its been working great. I have to agree with mrRT though, I hate WINModems...

5. Coot

Well, here's the deal. I installed Win2K on the second machine and the soft modem went right in without a problem. On the WinXp box, I tried the 1.16 NVidia drivers supplied and the 2.0 drivers from NVidia...no go, and ontop of that, the 2.0 drivers from NVidia caused stability problems and slow boots.

If I had more time with these (he wants his machines yesterday), I'd try installing Linux to see how it performs...maybe I'll just get one for myself and see how it runs.