1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assault on California Power Station Raises Alarm on Potential for Terrorism

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So there was an attack on a power station back in April 2013. Wasn't really publicized until WSJ ran with it last wednesday and it's scary.

Threat to the grid? Details emerge of sniper attack on power station | Fox News

Everyone on the Left is brushing it off. The ones with a bit of wisdom..

Wellinghoff, a now-retired George W. Bush appointee, called it “the most significant incident of domestic terrorism involving the U.S. power grid that has ever occurred.”

And this week WSJ ran an OpEd stating that it was a dry run for a much bigger attack that would cripple multiple states.

Gordon Crovitz: The Power Grid: Our Achilles' Heel - WSJ.com

In an interview, Mr. Wellinghoff was careful to say he doesn't know if a terrorist group was responsible. But he called it a "purposeful attack, extremely well planned and executed by professionals who had expert training." He visited the scene with Pentagon experts who train Navy SEALs how to destroy enemy infrastructure. They pointed to the precision of the attack and evidence of its careful preparation. Mr. Wellinghoff said this was the only time Pentagon experts have concluded that damage to the grid in the U.S. has been caused by professionals.

"Coordinated attacks on just a few substations could have a devastating impact," Mr. Wellinghoff warned. Destroying the right targets could knock out power for most of North America. Government agencies keep classified which combination of substations would create the most damage if attacked.

So what does everyone think?

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

When I was working for Hydro One in Toronto, I asked a few pointed questions regarding grid security.

Let's just say I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Yes, it would be easy to do. And I highly doubt it would be preventable as most of those targets would be considered "soft" targets.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Welp, time to get a solar recharger, some long lasting candles and some NOAA hand crank radio!