1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asian uproar over Australian threat

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 4, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Australian PM John Howard has created a ruckus in SE Asia by declaring that he has the right to "act" unilaterally in any other Asian country to prevent future terrorist attacks. He also claims that international law in the age of terrorism is now dead.

Link

Imagine Bush doing the same? Oh the whining...

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I like a leader who is willing to do this job to defend his citizens.

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

You mean he didn't? I thought that's where the Aussies got the idea...

4. ethics

Claimed international law is now dead?

5. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

The cries of outrage from notorious Aussie haters as the Malaysians and Indonesians is boring us to tears.

About the only thing John Howard could perhaps have added were the words. "as a last resort" but, who cares? Mahatir and company can go and get stuffed.

John.

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Well, more correctly the part about acting unilaterally has already been expressed by GW, and I believe he hasn't limited it to any single region of the globe.

Then again, if you make that pronouncement, aren't you also declaring international law moot to some degree?

<small>edited for spelling</small>

7. ethics

Yep, very true. My bad.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Methinks Australians are really from Arizona ;) Yeeehaaaa

9. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Coot,

"Methinks Australians are really from Arizona"

After spending some time in Phoenix and Tucson surrounded by Eucalyptus trees, I think you may be right. Made me quite homesick.

John.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

As you might expect there has been a mixed reaction to our PM's comments ranging from total support to shock and outrage. The comments got blanket coverage in all forms of the media yesterday with the Foreign Minister Alexander Downer not unexpectedly going in to bat for his boss.
    Since making the comments some clarity has been added to just what he meant to imply by the gung ho talk. What is now clear is that he does not intend to launch a pre emptive attack on Kuala Lumpur and take the Malaysian PM hostage in exchange for all radical Muslims clerics. Although the fate of Muhatir and where he should shove his dumb arse comments have been the subject of much comment over the years.
    Whatever action our PM says our country will take in such pre emptive actions will most definitely be in conjunction with and agreement by the government of the country involved. In other words we will offer to help them out. This caused many to breath sighs of relief and others to say Fuck you Muhatir! Not a popular chap in these parts is Mahatir. This is the one who wanted to sever trade links with us a few years ago because the then PM Paul Keating, referred to him as "recalcitrant". Nasty words indeed.
    As for my feelings on the whole thing....fuck you Muhatir.

11. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

As you might expect there has been a mixed reaction to our PM's comments ranging from total support to shock and outrage. The comments got blanket coverage in all forms of the media yesterday with the Foreign Minister Alexander Downer not unexpectedly going in to bat for his boss.
    Since making the comments some clarity has been added to just what he meant to imply by the gung ho talk. What is now clear is that he does not intend to launch a pre emptive attack on Kuala Lumpur and take the Malaysian PM hostage in exchange for all radical Muslims clerics. Although the fate of Muhatir and where he should shove his dumb arse comments have been the subject of much comment over the years.
    Whatever action our PM says our country will take in such pre emptive actions will most definitely be in conjunction with and agreement by the government of the country involved. In other words we will offer to help them out. This caused many to breath sighs of relief and others to say Fuck you Muhatir! Not a popular chap in these parts is Mahatir. This is the one who wanted to sever trade links with us a few years ago because the then PM Paul Keating, referred to him as "recalcitrant". Nasty words indeed.
    As for my feelings on the whole thing....fuck you Muhatir.

I tried to delete this second posting but could not do so.

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Seems that Al Queda took mild mannered (cough-Cough) Australians and turned them into closer Allies to Americans. I think the Russians, Americans, and Aussies could take on the opposition without anyone elses help. An Ally that I can respect is one that will take unilateral action if neccessary. Anything less than that is just being an apologist for Al Queda misbehavior and evil.

13. ethics

No one said Al-qaeda members were bright. The dumbest clusterfuck they ever pulled was in Bali.

14. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

John,

Wow, I knew the Indos had major problems with Australia, which is unsurprising to me, but I hadn't really been aware Malaysia had issues. But then and again, it's also not a surprise, since Australia is a liberal democracy and the major power in south Asia.

Hmm...Muslim societies at odds with a Western society (albeit an Asian-based one)...what were the chances?

SM