1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Goes Colorado, So Goes America?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Or my preferred subtext: Californians fuck everything up.

I was fortunate in the very early 1970s to leave Texas for Colorado, in yet another of my father's endless job switches (this time, he hadn't been fired--he left KBOX in Dallas for KLZ in Denver). I remember Colorado from 1970 to 1976 has a great time in my life. Even though the Vietnam War was still in the news every night, and the bullies were just as harsh as they'd been in Texas, there was a peculiar vitality to Colorado that resonated with me. When I went back for a visit in 1978, it was still pretty much the same as I'd left it two years earlier: a vibrant state populated by level-headed individualists, and it was anything but a place most people considered migrating to, unless your name was Gerald Ford and you owned a chalet in Vail. Even Aspen was a different place then, before they expanded the airport so bizjets from LA could fly direct instead of to Stapleton. (That might have been the downfall right there--making it easy on liberals coming in to ski, who hated driving from Denver to Aspen.)

Now, Colorado's a Janus state. One side, the place I remember. The other, a place I remember, too--only that place was San Francisco, in the early 1980s. It's not a fair trade, I tell ya.

So What Happened? Who Shot and Killed The Old West? I don't know if the answer is in this article, which is more a valentine for Hickenlooper than anything else. But as someone who can remember the old Colorado, I find it troubling, nevertheless.

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I have never lived in Colorado, but used to go to Denver fairly often in the 1980s into the late 1990s. It was a normal feet-on-the-ground place back then. I was surprised when it started moving left.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

It's not Californians. It's liberals. Obama's grand plan is to turn America into an entitlement nation where as many people as possible are dependant on the government. He wants a single party system and that party is the liberals. That's why he isn't paying much attention to things happening outside of America. They aren't his agenda. It's "fuck the world let's turn America into a libaral paradise."

As far as San Fracisco, I hope they have another big quake that levels it, and hopefully enough to take out Sacramento too, preferably with our state Congress in session and Moonbeam in his office. Oh yeah, and all our federal Congressmen (Congresscritters?) home slopping their liberal crap with their liberal buddies.

An even worse thing about California. As far as I can tell conservatives are more likely to leave than liberals, so if anything California is probably becoming more liberal.

I don't even bother voting any more. You know the Democrats are going to win all the federal spots that California has.

4. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

My vote may finally matter a bit, but it still looks like my state will turn Democrat which will be bad for the future of our country.