1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artificial Insemination Nightmare Revealed by DNA Test

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Allene, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

I subscribe to this blog by someone who is very active in the genetic genealogy area. This is one of those stories that are stranger than fiction. I used to go to the ENT clinic at the University of Utah Medical Center during the period this man worked there. I don't remember where the clinic in this story was located, but it was probably one of the many clinics I had to walk past before I reached the ENT clinic. From what I've read here about it's current behavior, the university is eventually going to get itself in trouble.

In case you are wondering, this happened before 23andMe ran afoul of the FDA. Currently, they can still sell DNA kits, but at this time, they can only give out genealogy-related, not health-related information. The story in the link below is about the genealogical results of the test, later confirmed by traditional paternity testing--expensive testing that holds up in a court of law.

http://www.yourgeneticgenealogist.com/2014/01/artificial-insemination.html

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

University of Utah held a press conference today:

Sean Mulvihill, chief executive officer of the University of Utah Medical Group, estimates Lippert may have been involved with treatment of about 1,000 clients, but that only 15 have called the U.’s Andrology Lab and none have yet undergone follow-up paternity tests. "A couple families" may choose to have paternity testing, he said.

Genealogist CeCe Moore, who has advised the Branums throughout this ordeal, says Mulvihill’s estimate strikes her as too low.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57431982-78/lippert-mulvihill-com-investigation.html.csp

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Got this on one of those news programs the other night. Unbelievable!!!

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, it is. That guy totally creeps me out.