1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we Losing our Humanity?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The following is a report on George Clooney and his remarks about Charlton Heston:

We complain often about the polarization of causes. But the above is just over the edge. The cruelty of his first remark is bad enough. He than says that somebody deserves this terrible disease. I guess all of us with relatives suffering from this dibilitating disease, or any disease, for that matter, should now ponder what they did to deserve this disease. Clooney was only a so so actor. Now we find he also lacks class. What an asshole.

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I find myself defending the right of assholes to say whatever they want. I may disagree, and I may take actions such as boycotting, but I will not condemn a person for speaking their mind; their absolute right to freedom of speech is no less nor no more important than mine.

<small>Pretty tacky, comment, though...</small>

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Here's another example:

Spike Lee on Charlton Heston

Spike Lee on the successful comedy Barbershop

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

This stuff almost makes me cry. Charlton Heston is a great man from what I've read and seen about him. He's at the top in my book of favorite actors. Like so what he thinks the right to bear arms is cool??? What is wrong with these people??? This man is standing up for one of our Constitution rights!!! He's not endorsing violence against humans. Guns don't kill people, people kill people...does someone have to explain that to these butt heads? Sad...a great man...you would think they'd show him some respect :(

5. IamZed

IamZed ...

I am a big Chuck fan. I guess that is all I need to say.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

A better question might be, when DID we truly HAVE our humanity?

:rolleyes:

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Regardless of Heston's stance on guns, the remark was totally lacking in taste and class. So Shiney, the answer to your question is yes, atleast in Clooney's case.

8. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

The examples above just represent the mindset of the mind or lack thereof for the Hollywood crowd. A large segment of them are just a bunch of rich and airhead Bozos and Bimbos!

I remember the comments of Tim Roth who played General Thade in the recent version of the movie "Planet of the Apes."

Roth's character is the son of Heston's character. The only scene in the movie that Heston has is a deathbed one with Roth.

In discussing his preparation for that scene Roth said words to the effect that it was difficult for him, as he would be playing it with Heston, a man who Roth said represented everything that he, Roth, was against.

Talk about overkill. Roth must live in a very small world.

9. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I think Heston is a pompous, self-important, ham, with idiotic political convictions. I've never been a fan.

But (of course) he doesn't "deserve" Alzheimer's. I'll concur with Shiny's "what an asshole," in regard to Clooney (not a fan of his, either). It's obvious Clooney has had things pretty easy his whole life, and never learned about the tragedies the universe hands out to all of us from time to time, regardless of merit. Undoubtedly he'll learn, eventually.

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

SteveNT, I do not question his right to his opinion or to even state it. I think it is a prime example of why we cannot compromise on anything. Disagree with somebody's stand and they can have or do nothing right. Wishing somebody be stricken with a horrible disease is pretty classless. Yes, Clooney had the right to say it. And I have a right to think him an asshole. And I am stupid enough to wish for the opportunity to tell him face to face. He is probably not even aware or concerned with what Charlton Heston has done for actors over the years as long time president of the Screen Actors Guild. Mr. Heston has one issue he disagrees with and now deserves Alzheimer's.

This is typified by those who ignore every other argument about Iraq and say it is only for oil. Now I am not convinced oil is not enough of a reason by itself, but the facts are that we all can list many reasons that invading Iraq is justified. But those who oppose want to demonize the president and reduce all reasons to the basest. When one side is actually trying to look at a whole situation and the other has only one agenda you cannot debate. All points that do not fit the agenda are dismissed because you are a Bush supporter. Forget the fact that in many other threads you oppose Bush. Forget everything but the agenda. And now I will slink off my soap box and await the flames.