1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are GMO's Safe?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 17, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yes.

"I’ve spent much of the past year digging into the evidence. Here’s what I’ve learned. The deeper you dig, the more fraud you find in the case against GMOs. The people who tell you that Monsanto is hiding the truth are themselves hiding evidence that their own allegations about GMOs are false. They’re counting on you to feel overwhelmed by the science and to accept, as a gut presumption, their message of distrust"

Are GMOs safe? Yes. The case against them is full of fraud, lies, and errors.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, the damage is already done with many countries outright banning GMO products.

Regardless of the evidence, you aren't going to persuade the clueless who rely on the misinformation being spread about GMO foods even though we've been eating them for centuries.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

4. Biker

Monsanto is practically the anti-christ with liberals. Granted, some of their business practices stink to high heaven when it comes to some things, but the reason why there's such a misinformation campaign is they despise the company due to its global reach.

This isn't about GMOs being "unsafe". It's all about trying to bring down the big, bad corporation.

ethics likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

You should understand a few things about GMO before praising or bashing it.

First thing against, we have no proof these products have no long term effects (in terms of decades). I find it completely creepy that they are using genes from insects and other animals in our crops. They are engineering in resistance against insecticides so they can dose an entire crop knowing the weeds don't have the protective gene.

Next thing, once they exist outside of laboratories, we lose control. Monsanto has been particularly vigorous in prosecuting farms near where GMO crops are grown because insects cross pollinate crops and how do you tell bees to not pollinate your non-GMO crops with GMO pollen? Yet they do that, and you can find your crop contaminated by GMO genes, and then Monsanto comes knocking and wants a royalty because you are using their GMO product. We have NO CONTROL over these crops once they are planted on the range.

I'm trying to think of things for, but they are all presumptuous that there will be no harmful effects.

I would like it better if they focus on adding disease fighting genes to crops that turn them into medicine for people who suffer disorders that can be treated that way, and grow the crops in clean rooms so they can't escape into the wild. In effect GMO medicine food.

6. Biker

People have been eating genetically altered/modified foods for centuries. Educate yourself before spouting off the bologna about GMOs and how "we just don't know".

ethics likes this.
  7. Greg

Greg Full Member

People haven't been eating GMO food for centuries with things like insect genes in it.

Selective breeding and cross breeding of plants and animals is nothing unusual. Inserting genes from animals into plants is an entirely new kind of food, GMO frankenfood.

Nobody knows whether the GMO frankenfood will be healthy in the long run.

Educate yourself on just what kind of odd genes scientists are putting into GMO frankenfood.

8. Biker

My god. You REALLY need to educate yourself and stop buying into the misinformation that's out there. Seriously.

9. ethics

I actually think he's providing an example of the people who were brainwashed, exactly what that article states.

10. Biker

Ya think?

ethics likes this.
  11. Biker

And ya know? It's this exact same type of behavior that's spilling into politics. Both from the actual politicians themselves and the idiots that put them into office. And this is on BOTH sides of the aisle.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Pete and Repeat, glad to meet you both. I'm glad to see you have sucked down all the GMO advertising hype that it is totally safe.

Let's do 2 things: 1.) you go your way and I'll go mine, and 2.) I'll quit the ad hominem attacks and hope you do the same.

13. Biker

So, what's your experience in farming? How much research have you done into seed developement and what goes into the actual development and planting/testing of those seeds?

Or do you just go to youtube and take everything there as gospel?

14. ethics

He reads Motherjones. Look at his other posts.

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

I don't, but you won't care. I rely on my B.S. degree and on my continuing interest in staying informed about all matters related to science. I'm not sucking down and regurgitating some fucking website.

16. ethics

Every scientist I know (including Bill Nye) is saying the opposite. So yeah... good luck with that degree.

17. Greg

Greg Full Member

I already had good luck with my degree. I'm a retired multi-millionaire. Just goes to show you there's no justice in the world. :)

18. ethics

Sure you. Make sure you take your pills.

19. Greg

Greg Full Member

Just remember, just because I say it's so doesn't make it so, and just because you say it's not doesn't make it not so.

I enjoy the saying that living well is the best revenge. I enjoy playing with my hobby businesses like house rental just because it's better than rotting out in old age.

You know if you keep driving away controversy (to you) like joseftu comes to mind, even you will have a homogenous user base with nothing to discuss because you all agree 100%. With no controversy you have nothing important to discuss on your forum except pointing out news articles that supports your world belief, or pointing out articles that are "obviously insane."

Keep wishing I'm in a fantasy. I'm happy to say your wishes won't come through. All I have to be concerned now in my life is staying healthy and living long. I hope when you reach my age that you have the same milieu.

20. Arc

Arc Full Member

NOT referring to any poster in this thread but FUD has destroyed or delayed a lot of good ideas in all areas of life including agriculture. Right now the hot topic is GMO. I don't have a strong opinion on it but currently lean toward the pro and I don't have any objections.

One example of previous FUD in food improvement stopped the use of low strength radiating agricultural products to kill harmful contaminates without any negative impact on the food being radiated. The FUD was the agricultural product would become harmfully "radioactive" and the consumer would suffer "radioactive" consequences.

ShinyTop likes this.