1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Arch Linux

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I should have my head examined, but I'm gonna give this a whirl. Not quite as bad as a Gentoo installation, but the install disc is pretty damned spartan. Installation is handled via a number of scripts which you execute individually.

Lifehacker has a nice step by step instruction set as well.

One of the reasons I'm looking at this is it's one of the few distros out there that is bleeding edge as far as the latest package releases. With Vector Linux, the Intel graphic drivers are 2 versions old. WoW via WINE is just plain UGLY with those ancient Mesa drivers.

Once finished, this should be a fairly lightweight installation the just screams on this notebook. I'll report back after the basics are done.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Arch is one of the hardest builds to put on any computational device. I mean, I could PROBABLY get it to work, but time wasted ratio for benefits doesn't add up for me.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Heh. I may have to pass this up for the time being. No printer available to print the instructions out. I suppose I could use the ereader to show the instructions, but that's a pain in the arse.