1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arbeit Macht Frei

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Danish scouts in Germany have a new game....it's Nazi's and Jews.
    Story Here.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Children who are 11-14 are more aware and more knowledgable than we give credit for.

I honestly didn't think anything wrong with this. Bad taste? Sure.

3. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Whoa Leon. Should we have adults dress in KKK outfits and chase around little black slaves? You can imagine the outrage. More than just bad taste IMO.

4. ethics

Depends on the intent of the education. Although, I would think one would need to ASK parents before you pull something like this.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Which was?

6. ethics

Don't know, the article didn't state one.

7. ethics

8. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

As a parent, I'd only be in favor of a role play like this if it was teaching survival skills. Maybe that's why they did this? Scouts trying to learn how the Jews might have felt and the adults showing how cruel the whole thing was to teach a lesson? I don't know...if it was to play cops and robbers then not the best of choices. Poor taste.

Ethics you're right...that is bad taste. It's a sin what some people find amusing or "artistic". Sick world :(

9. Aria

Aria All shall love me&despair

I didn't find anything wrong with that exhibit.

Nowhere in the article did I find anything that suggested to me that the exhibit was supporting what happened during the Holocaust, in fact the impression I got was that the art displayed was intended to express the pain of that time, a pain that as a society we still feel today. When tragedies on such a grand scale occur, we can't bury them and pretend they didn't happen; or else we forget and possibly allow them to happen again.

Regarding the game of tag, I'm willing to bet there was more to the story than what the newspaper reported. It wouldn't be the first time the media has left out info to sell papers.

10. ethics

Oh I agree on the museum. I tend to think it was in bad taste, but then again, art is subjective.