1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Remember The Learning Channel

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jul 4, 2018.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I remember it as one of my favorite channels with interesting shows on a wide range of issues. It has been going downhill with much more emphasis on entertainment than teaching. Today I was watching one of their series on Seen in the ER or some such title. Then they advertised a new series called Dr. Pimple Popper. You can do a search on You Tube and see examples of what the show will contain. Is the fault with TLC or with the audience? Probably both.

2. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

As with all entertainment, TV channels offer shows that they believe that people want to watch. They see her channel has millions of hits and are taking a chance on this.

I gave up TV years ago. I watch some shows, but sparingly. Growing up, we sat down for the news at 6pm (East Coast) and watch Local News, National News, then the 3 hours of Network programming. I found out a couple years ago that our brains go to a lower level of functioning than if you're asleep.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Free market, so the demand is pushed. No one cares about learning, science, etc... So I tend to blame the audience more than TLC.

Allene and MemphisMark like this.