1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else dislike onboard crap on motherboards?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

When I was considering upgrading my MoBo, CPU, and RAM a while back (I finally decided I'd rather wait and use my money to be the first on the black with the AMD Athlon 64 :happy:) I noticed that almost all the motherboards had tons of crap onboard. First is onboard sound. Although that seems to be the trend for most people (who seem to be marching to the tune of Soundblaster sucks now :rolleyes:) I don't like onboard sound. Heck I don't like onboard anything with the exception of ports. I don't think things such as onboard NIC, or sound are good ideas. If one of them breaks you have to send it all back to the manufacturor. I'd rather pay less for a MoBo and get my Soundcard, Video (the worst onboard thing you can get), and NIC among other things as PCI cards. If one breaks you can just quickly replace it, and if you decide to migrate to a new motherboard, you don't loose your integrated 5.1 sound card or integrated GeForce 4 MX video. You can just move everything to your new board.

My advice to anyone out there is to avoid onboard sound, video, etc. like a plague. It just adds extra cost to the motherboard, and if you ever want to upgrade or if the onboard thing breaks its more of a pain.

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think that this is going to be the trend of the future though...

After just upgrading my box with a new Soyo that had everything onboard except the kitchen sink (that was $5 extra;)) I look at it this way.
    I now have all of the cards that WERE in that box available to build another SETI cruncher with minimal cash outlay.

Worst case scenario... my onboard NIC dies, or onboard sound dies, I can always just slap a card in there then. (especially if it is out of warranty). In warranty, well back it goes. Sure I'm down for a while, part of the game, I guess as it goes that way for any parts these days.

Besides, how many of us actually keep a MoBo long enough for it to die rather than it becoming obsolete and upgrading anyway? :)

3. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

I like onboard ethernet and sometimes sound. Sound can be usefull if you don't want to spend 30-50 dollars for a card and don't need anything special. Ethernet just is a cheapo part that you can throw on the board for little or no cost and it would cost you 10+ to get the card. So either way its really saving you money. Rarely do the onboard things 'break' randomly without most of the motherboard going with it. Oh well, depends on what you're using it for but theres zippo wrong with integrated ethernet and little wrong with the audio unless you want high end and either way you can still just diable it and it doesn't bother you anywho.

4. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

You are preaching to the quire, techie. I hate it when onboard sound takes to much resources and slows games down. Onboard video is worse.

5. valgore

valgore Veteran Member

I don't care for onboard items either. but if i remember right some motherboards that have onboard audio/video has an option in BIOS that allows you to disable these functions and use a PCI card.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Most onboard options are easily disabled. I like it. gives me a cost effective choice. Ethernet is not even something I would worry about. I have had less trouble with my built in NIC than a 50 dollar 3Com.

7. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

i love everything onboard, except audio. the realtek chips flat out suck. well, i don't like onboard video either. i upgrade too much for that ;).

my mobo has onboard raid, lan, firewire, usb 2.0, and serial ATA. i like the fact that i have all that crap, and still have 4 free PCI slots to add more crap when the need arises (and it always does :)).

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Exactly. Of course back in the day, motherboards didn't even come with onboard IDE controller, it was a card also.

9. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

And thank goodness they did. The floppy IDE controller on my mother's computer went out a while back. (This was right after I killed daddy's laptop ... what an adventure THAT was!) A friend of mine, who regularly goes to computer shows and therefore has a lot of computer parts lying around, just so happened to have a card that included a floppy IDE controller. I had searched EVERYWHERE for one! It was a real lucky break. And those are RARE for me!

Especially today ... :(

10. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I prefer the onboard Sound and Modem and Ethernet. As was stated, it is easily disabled and I have yet to have on break. When you are in the market for cheap components to build a PC for someone without a lot of cash, the onboard stuff can mean the difference between an AMD 1600+ or 2000+. And since they will run SETI for me, that makes a difference.:) Though I do hate those Modem Riser Card things. Had trouble with all three that I have come across. For me, I use my own sound and Vid Card, but the on-board ethernet and USB and USB2 make a big difference. I am sure, if you looked at old usenet posts, you could probably find a similar thread discussing all the extra crap, like IDE and Floppy controllers that they started integrating a few years ago. It is just the changing times.

wapu

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

It really depends on what you will be using the machine for. For my main PC at home, I would never want onboard video or audio because I am too much into gaming. Other than that, buying boards with onboard stuff can be a real money savings. And as others have pointed out, they can be disabled.

12. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'm waiting for all this onboard stuff to be shrunk down small enough to implanted into my body. Imagine the power of a nice 2.4GHz P4 with wireless broadband and LAN access and a head-up display projecting onto a pair of glasses or, better yet, directly overlaid onto contact lenses?

I, Robot!

13. jamming

jamming Banned

The glasses are all ready here stevant, I saw a pair demonstrated. But darn man the upgrades on those implanted systems will take on a whole new meaning.

14. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I just have to wonder how outdated the implanted systems have to be for the HMO's to cover upgrading procedures... :haha:

15. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

What would you do if you had a 286 implanted 7 years ago? Would you really want to still be running Windows 3.1 in your head still?;)

wapu

16. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'd have it implanted in my belly, just under the skin. It'd be easily accessible for upgrades and replacement; the fat would cushion it from shock; and there's a nexus of nerves down there in the abdomen that would make a nice interface point.