1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to turn off update in Win10 Home?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Pro comes with the necessary policy editor, Home doesn't. Can I get the .msc out of Pro and put it in my Home? Or can I regedit the policy directly. I've dipped into my registry countless times and never messed up.

I hate it when your software morphs. I want to be notified, and then I want to take my own sweet time before updating.

For example, my Win7 laptop wants to update but I have a bunch of financial stuff in the wind, and don't want to update until the financials stabilize.

I now wish I'd paid extra for the Pro. I'm thinking of getting another HTPC. If so I think I'll spend the extra on that one, and move it to my LR. (#3 is for my bedroom, the den is #2).

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Home has absolutely no deferral option. You can, however, update your Home edition to Pro online. Probably won't be able to get out of the current update, but you'll be set for future ones.

3. Susan Addams

Thank you Biker. I could have ordered the computer with Pro and now I regret it. I didn't know that Microsoft submitted Win10Home owners to what amounts to forced rape.

I think this is a significant part of why my Facebook account keeps crashing. FB sees the differences and thinks I'm an imposter.

It seems to be related to Windows update in addition to being related to my nastyneighbors.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

When I ordered the current laptop, I paid for the Pro version, but didn't realize that it would give me a choice re those updates. I need to check that out after I finish with some other stuff. Thanks for alerting me!

5. Susan Addams

And I'm bummed out that Microsoft rapes me 2-3 times a week. I think that's related to my Facebook problem. In case I didn't mention, as soon as I took the MSFT update my FP page got the notice to upload another pic of me again. It can't be not connected.

Is there any way to move the .msc component (policy editor) into Home? I've heard of that being done in past versions of MSFT, that you could add a snap-in policy manager and simply use it. That's what leads me to believe it's the registry that those policy editors change.

Seems to me that if I knew the Win10 registry I could probably turn off updates if I knew the right key.

6. Biker

Can't be done.

The reason this change came about in Windows 10 is due to the amount of individuals out there that never updated their systems, and then got compromised (think bot nets). So now, users don't have a choice. You can delay it for a few hours in Home, but after that you have no choice in the matter.

Overall, this is a good thing. It's a pain in the ass, but it's necessary due to the idiots who are cruising the Internet.

It's also one of the reasons why Linux is my daily driver.

7. Susan Addams

So those of us who properly managed our computers are being penalized because of fucking idiots who don't know shit. Whatever happened to Patch Tuesday? I used to sync my backups to Windows Update date, backing up just prior, and it worked fine.

Now the goddamned thing morphs itself whenever it wants and fucks me over. Thanks Microsoft. You suck.

For the record I run Linux (Debian Jessie) on my server. Not appropriate for a home PC and in any case not compatible with the HTPC use I have for my Win10 computer. I decided to make it my Facebook computer too, and it appears every time WU runs I get kicked off FB.

What has the world come to that the intelligent are being punished for the transgressions of the idiots?

8. Susan Addams

Biker I don't think my HTPC can be upgraded. I would have bought one with Pro if I had known about this constant update. I can't live with MSFT just changing my software any time they want, yet it's too late to return for a refund.

Doesn't the policy manager just change the registry? I wonder why nobody has published how to change your registry to turn off the update.'

You're the expert, not me. Do you see any way to turn this damned update thing off?

9. Biker

Because it can't. be. done. With Home, you have to accept the update when it's sent out. There's no other choice.

Now, I do believe you can do an in place upgrade with Pro without having to install software. Just plug in the key and it unlocks the portions of Windows that are already in place.

10. Susan Addams

Thanks Biker. :)

I think more likely it can be done but it would be so complex and fraught with possibilities for error that it would be unlikely to succeed, plus MSFT may have put in surprises just to prevent that sort of thing. I think a few Windows back you could probably drop in the right .MSC for this or that and get a new policy manager. But I accept it can't be done now.

It just makes me wonder though, that if you can buy an upgrade key that turn your Win10H into Win10P then the code must be just sitting there locked out. But I'm not such a fool to meddle with that.

I've been investigating and the best work around is to turn off your Windows Update service, and then periodically turn it back on when you are willing to accept updates. IOW stop Windows Update service and then change it to Manual start-up, then reverse the steps when you want to update. A PITA... but workable.

A second option works too, you can select your Internet connection as "limited bandwidth" which then gives Windows Update second thoughts about using up your bandwidth to automatically download updates. In other words this stops the updates from coming in so Windows has nothing to install. Note that this does not work if you are connected via Ethernet, only WiFi. I didn't explore this version in depth though, I didn't fill in all the details here because I abandoned this approach before I read to the end.

What I decided to do is (1) as you suggested, explore what it would cost to upgrade my key if that's all it would take. This is an HTPC running an Atom processor, and I am nervous exactly what they are running and to what degree they may have been customized if at all. And (2) maybe just do as I said and shut down WU service and open it 1-2 times a month so I control when the upgrades get installed.

I'll decide when I've discovered what the upgrade cost would be, and I'd also like to contact the manufacturer or dealer if the price is feasible, see what the dealer has to say about possible upgrading.

This seems to me a new low for Microsoft. Now they irritate the hell out of you until you cough up the money and buy the upgrade. Maybe Microsoft envied the obnoxiousness that has always characterized Apple.

I think Microsoft has also envied Amazon that they'd rather rent you a house than sell you a house if you get my metaphor. In other words, think very stupid terminals and MSFT Office in the cloud, paid monthly: a constant revenue stream, sort of like Amazon Music Unlimited (which BTW I think I'll continue my trial and go ahead and keep the Amazon music.)

11. Biker

There's no doubt that MS would love to treat the OS as a service with a monthly fee for use. Whether they actually take that step remains to be seen. As for Office, you don't need to "rent" Office 365. There are also stand alone versions that you can purchase that do not require constant Internet access in order to use it.

Better yet, install LibreOffice. Works just as good as MS Office and it's free.

12. Susan Addams

The day MSFT tries to force me to rent an operating system from them is the day I'll install Debian and kiss MSFT goodbye. I'm pretty good at Debian but know virtually nothing about Debian desktops. I tried installing a virtual desktop on my server and finally gave it up as a botched job, removed all the crap and turned back to my standard server setup. I decided if I want an RDP I'll just go rent an RDP.

I'm still using Office 2007 and it works fine for me. It's even a legit copy, I mean I have the factory CD. All MSFT ever does with Office is gunk it up with new features I don't want nor need. I use Word and Excel, that's it. I see absolutely no reason to change. Before that I was using Office 2000 but couldn't find my install CD. But then I guess if I go to Debian you know I'll be using LibreOffice. I might try it one day just to see how similar it is to MS Office. If they're the same then sure, why not? — Currently I'm in the process of shutting down a business this year and I'd rather not change tools until taxes for its final year are complete and filed.

By the way, on the problematic Win10H I found Windows Update service and stopped it then disabled it. I'll let it rape my computer every few weeks instead of having it bug me every few days.

I still say, what ever happened to Patch Tuesday?

13. Susan Addams

I'm getting so annoyed with this that I am seriously considering paying the $99.99 just to get control of my computer back. The sons of bitches have almost done it, irritated the fuck out of me so much that I might give them $100 to leave me alone.

One of the things I have discovered in life is that sometimes it's worth it to just throw money at a problem to make it go away.

I think I dislike being irritated enough to pay $100 blackmail to make it go away. I can always make more money, but irritation ruins my peace of mind.