1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Experience with VPR

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ShinyTop, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

VPR is Best Buy's house brand. They currently have a kick ass machine advertised for $1899 and the following details:

PRODUCT FEATURES
    Intel Pentium 4 processor 3.06A GHz, with Hyper-Threading (HT) technology for improved multitasking performance and 533MHz system bus for a powerful CPU-to-memory connection

512KB L2 cache memory for efficient system processing

512MB DDR SDRAM for multitasking power, upgradable to 1.0GB

Two 100.0GB Ultra ATA/100 (7200 rpm) hard drives; integrated RAID capability

16x maximum speed DVD-ROM (48x maximum speed CD-ROM)

DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive (2x1x6 DVD-RW, 8x4x24 CD-RW)

nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 graphics card with 128MB video memory; Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 sound card

2 IEEE 1394 ports allow for digital video transfer in real time, plus 6 plug-and-play USB ports

Intel PRO 10/100 integrated network card; V.92 high-speed modem

Windows XP Home Edition operating system preinstalled; see more features

Now am I not saying every part is the best but I have been pricing 3 Gig systems and even building one myself I cannot get this price. So my question is has anybody examined or owned a VPR system? I will go to Best Buy and ask some questions but wondering if their parts are quality or cheapest available. For instance none of the drives have the make identified. Anybody?

2. jamming

jamming Banned

No Sorry, but it does read like they are using quality parts in the Video and Sound Card. It is worth looking at for sure, psst...what's your old computer and where is it going?

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I have no idea about VPR systems...sorry. I can suggest that you price out the equivalent system with Systemax. I've bought one of their workstations and two of their laptops for the office. I saved a ton and I have no regrets.

http://www.systemaxpc.com

4. ShinyTop

Current system is a 1 gig athalon, 512 133 RAM, 64 Meg GeForce 3 video, CD burner and DVD player. My wife will probably get it if she will run it 24/7 for SETI.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Cool, sounds your meeting one of my own personal requirements to upgrade, never upgrade your processor speed less than three times your old speed.

6. ShinyTop

Coot, their price came very close. Could not configure exactly identical but I noticed they too did not specify makers of drives. I know that might just mean they take advantage of the current market, but once before I bought without asking and got a 5.25 4500 HD when 5400's were considered slow. Being careful ever since.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Drive Manufacturers use many of the same standards now, it is not as critical as it use to be, but still important.

8. limeygit

limeygit Assume Sarcasm...

You culd build one yourself for a better price, if you would let go of the intel fetish...

What? I was just saying...

9. ShinyTop

I have built more of my own computers than I have bought made. But the only way to tell if you can save much is to keep aware of pricing.

And my current machine is an AMD. But when I looked at the difference in pricing last week the 3 Gig Intel and 2.8 AMD were only $40 apart.

Been using NewEgg and MWave sites for pricing my parts. Always looking for cheaper with good reputations.

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Shiny, I don't know if they have a standard drive they work with...the workstation I bought last month came with a maxtor ATA 133 80GB. That, I believe can be verified over the phone.

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I don't know as I have never used vpr. However those look like quality parts, so if something is crap then you could always salvage the good parts. However I would check to see if the motherboard supports serial ATA, and that those are USB 2.0 ports and not USB 1.1

12. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Overall, the parts advertised in that system seem to be of good quality, but I can't believe vendors still put SB Live! cards in Windows XP machines. There is a very annoying bug in the XP drivers that causes problems if you have rear speakers like I do. I am still using the SB LIve! card in my home PC, and I use the digital output to connect to Cambridge Soundworks 4.1 speakers(three years old, and they still sound GREAT!). Creative never bothered to correct this issue, and my email inquiries to support have resulted in a suggestion that I purchase a Sound Blaster Audigy card! Oh sure, I'll get right on that, you assholes!