1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Semitic 'Elders of Zion' on Egypt TV

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 27, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A television series about to be broadcast in Egypt and other Arab states is based upon <a href="http://ddickerson.igc.org/protocols.html">The Protocols of the Elders of Zion</a>, the notorious anti-semitic text, widely held as a creation of the pre-revolutionary Russian Czarist secret police.

Apparently, the story has been vetted by the Egyptian 'government broadcasting committee', which, among other things, is responsible for ensuring that shows that might encourage 'desecration of religion' don't make it onto the air. Due to the relatively low level of literacy, which sits at just 51%, many Egyptians will accept this show as the truth. Given the amount of funding the US gives to Egypt each year, should a more formal objection be raised to this piece of shit entertainment?

Full NYT Story
  2. jamming

jamming Banned

That is just wrong and a shame, but they are just showing what sells. Look at Jerry Springer and tell me that we have the moral high ground here.
  3. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

I think it's stretching things a bit to compare the mayhem on Jerry Springer to virulent anti-Semitism.

Yes, and insist they broadcast the entire Jerry Springer collection. That ought to boost the literacy rate.
  4. jamming

jamming Banned

I was only using it as an example of lowest common denominator that TV program aims for. FWIW, I agree the Elder's is worse than Springer.
  5. pupowski

pupowski Banned

I don't think the show will make a difference, with anti-semitism so deeply engrained in the culture. Anwar Sadat had a lot of courage to sign a peace treaty with Israel. Al-Queda's # 2 guy, Ayman Zawahiri was one of the conspirators imprisoned for his assassination.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Hey, they're just using the same old tired tool; blame somebody else for your failings. It must be terribly embarrasing to get your ass kicked four times by a numerically vastly inferior country even when you have surprise and three or four other countries on your side. Plus the added embarrasment of not being able to bring your country out of grinding poverty after 6000 years of effort, while the new kid (only 55 years-old) wipes the economic floor with you. Finding out your shit is weak makes you mad.
  7. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

If you haven't copyrighted that, I'd like to use it in a motivational plaque over at corporate HQ. ;)