1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthem Blue Cross pressured to postpone 39% health insurance hike

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Greg, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Greg

Greg Full Member

Everybody should pay attention to this development. This is going to be coming to your state/city/neighborhood soon.

I'm one of those people who got the 39% increase. I'm on a fixed income (social security) and all the last year my Anthem health insurance has been taking up about 1/3 of my monthly benefit. After the rate increase it would be 1/2 of my benefit. That's right, they want half of everything I get to continue my health insurance.

Let me interpret this. "Less than a quarter ... 35-39%" means that almost a quarter of their 800,000 policy holders get the almost 40% rate increase! (myself being one of them) At this rate in a few more years they will be taking my entire social security benefit. Needless to say, I will have to make other arrangements.

Social security gets a cost of living adjustment every year, to account for inflation. The gummint said that last year we had zero inflation so we social security recipients got zero COLA increase. This current situation is a great example of the gummint lying to us with statistics. There was no increase in cost of living because they use a metric weighted according to whatever they want it to be. If they want to be zero percent or 20 percent or whatever they just adjust their method to get the desired number.

I'm going insurance shopping tomorrow morning. This is way over the top. Health insurance companies are getting way too greedy. Note that this affects you too because all medical costs are going up at a stratospheric rate and even those of you who get your health insurance through employers are going to be hit as employers reduce benefits or increase the charge to employees.

You might want to read this article too, from the gummint (the hand that giveth and the hand that taketh away):

I'd almost be happy if my insurance were going up only 30%/2 = 15% per year!

We're screwed. Goddamned greedy bastards...