1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another School Shooting, 17 dead

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

Couldn't reach WAPO site.

Read the linked article from the Hill referenced by Bob on his twitter account. Geez, Marie, the authors are highly educated eloquent well-intentioned ignoramuses. I literally cringed with embarrassment for them as I read the article. There were several times in spots I had to re-read to reassure myself that what I just read I had actually read correctly.
  2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

It took me a few moments to realize your sarcasm. No, I don't want to be sucked into the government womb either.
  3. Susan Addams

Wow I didn't know that smoking pot was enough to pull your Second Amendment rights.

Good thing I tried it a few times and I didn't like it. Thanks, I'll take my Constitutional rights over smoke.

Good luck with that. It ain't gonna happen. Just ain't gonna happen, nope, no way. Not in this reality.
  4. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Here you go. Speed with a revolver:
  5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

What they want is the abolition of CIVILIAN ownership of firearms. They're fine with the police and military (under their control, of course) having guns.
  6. Susan Addams

It finally hit home to me how crazy liberals are when Rosie O'Donnell says she's against guns, and she's surrounded by armed guards.

Oh yes, and Algore jetting around in his personal passenger jet lecturing us all on global warming. If he's going to lecture us he should get a first class seat on a commercial jet.

And Rosie? She should just STFU.
    Allene likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

The public library I worked in years ago had a very dangerous hostage situation back in 1994. The man had a bomb that he was able to bring into the library undetected. He herded people on the second floor into a meeting room. The situation went on for hours before a SWAT team killed him. (I was on vacation in Europe at the time.)

Several weeks later, it was announced that the library would be getting armed guards. Would you believe it? Some people protested the "armed" bit. The company that was supplying the manpower said, "No guns? No guards!"
    cdw likes this.
  8. Susan Addams

It sounds like... Mexico? I've vacationed in Mexico and seen pick-up trucks patrol the city, two officers in the cab, a third in the bed with some kind of long guns. (I don't know a thing about rifles or shotguns except what they are and the difference between the two.) Oh BTW I'm more than happy to date hunters if they can bring meat to the table! I prefer eating Bambi but Thumper will do. :drool-11: (Bambi = venison, Thumper = rabbit.)

All I ask guys is to shave after you went hunting and clean your kill before you bring it to Suzy to cook it!

I don't see anything at all wrong with killing as long as you eat what you kill. Ew, I hope I never have to shoot a burglar. I think I'll let the CSI team handle that one! :laugh-46:

But seriously Allene I'm glad you missed the party.

Political statement: I'm laying this on Obama. You would think a black President would foster improved race relations but in fact between him and Holder I don't see how things could have been made worse.

IMO all tension racial and otherwise increased during Obama's watch. Jimmy Carter is often attributed as being the worst US President in modern times, but only because so little was done on his watch. So little accomplished, yet at the same time little harm was done.

If you want to blame Trump for anything that happens during his watch then you have to hold all previous Presidents responsible. For the record I've never been a party line voter. I think Geo II totally screwed up the world by ... the whole America intervention in the Middle East. Should'a rescued Kuwait and let the rest go. Should'a held Iraq pinned under US "no fly zone" but they just had to get Saddam Hussein. He was the evil man who kept the Middle East stable. They killed him and look what we have today.

I don't know how this whole school shooting thing started but Trump was still doing his The Apprentice show way after it started. You can't lay any of this on Trump.

If you want to blame school shootings on anybody let's start with Bush II or Obama.

For the record, I thought Bill Clinton was a pretty good President until I finally understood the sleaze factor. I was maybe 12-13 years old when he was elected. I didn't get the sleaze back then, I was too young to understand it. But Clinton was good for the economy.

I like the expression: "It's the economy, stupid!" It *IS* the economy!!!

Every employee in the nation including me has now received a bigger paycheck than the last one!
    Allene likes this.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

It was actually SLC, Utah, AND the Tibetan monks were there on the second floor with their leader. They were moving around the country at the time, working on one of their sand paintings. The bomber announced they could stay free because "you are good people."

My beagles wouldn't approve of you! They own the rabbit population on our land. Or, to be more precise, they own the land, are renting it to us, and the deal doesn't include the rabbits. ;) My husband hunts deer.

Yes, Obama made black/white relationships way, way worse. It will take a long time to recover from that. And then there was the escalating violence toward cops. Some are bad cops, but most aren't and don't deserve what has been going on.

I agree about Geo II. I started getting nervous when he revealed that Winston Churchill was his hero. I have huge respect for Churchill, but I was getting the feeling that Geo II was trying a bit too much to model himself on Churchill, a heroic figure in World War II, but the situation in the Middle East didn't quite compare with what was going on during the Battle of Britain, etc.

Jimmy Carter was a tad on the wimpy side. He made a better ex-President, what with Habitat for Humanity, etc. I wasn't impressed with Bill Clinton after I heard he wriggled out of going to Vietnam. I felt that it would probably translate into a less than transparent administration, which is what happened later on. Integrity is hard to come by these days.

Susan Addams likes this.
  10. Susan Addams

Wow Allene, just wow.

Oh yes and it would be nice to meet a man who not only eats what he kills, but knows how to barbecue venison good!

I'll even be happy to provide a nice Merlot to go with the venison provided it occurs in ... you know, my planned vacation from wine. WTH venison is probably good any way you cook it.

For the record I never promised I won't cook with wine. And you know a good chef tastes what she cooks, you know, to make sure the spices are right. ;)
    Allene likes this.
  11. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Got a freezer full of venison, pheasant and quail, and my wife is a great cook :D
    Allene likes this.
  12. Susan Addams

Tell me you have a single brother. :)

I hate to add demands. 30s? Just sayin'.
    Allene likes this.
  13. dsl987

dsl987 Member

The good news is that I do have a Brother.

The bad news is he's married, doesn't hunt or fish, lives in the UK and is VERY Liberal.
    Allene likes this.
  14. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Not only do we have little Bambi's and Thumper's running around down here, we also have a rather nice delicacy called wild boar.
    Allene likes this.
  15. Susan Addams

I don't have any problem at all killing and eating wild animals as long as you eat what you kill. My only reservation is that you must not kill anything that you do not intend to eat. Those little creatures have souls too. They are part of the food chain, as we are too. My only reservation is indiscriminate killing.

Some humans do not deserve to live, and they waste oxygen that could be used for better purposes.

People who cannot face killing animals should not delude themselves by buying neat little packages of meat. That animal screamed when it died just like you or I would.

Okay I saw "No Country For Old Men." I know they got the forehead thumper for cattle. Bang! You're dead!

Hell, I had steak tonight for dinner, and broiled asparagus, with blue cheese butter. I didn't feel the slightest angst killing the asparagus. ;)
    Allene likes this.
  16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Are the wild boars in Texas the same as the ones in Arizona? We have friends in Prescott and those boars are outside their house at night.
  17. Susan Addams

That's pretty amusing! What is he anyway, the anti-dsl987? Like, if we put you and bro in the same closet would you mutually annihilate yourselves in particle, anti-particle?

Seriously, everybody should take my comments in a non-serious way. Seriously I met two people once each, and good reason I don't see forums as a place to meet dates. One woman, one man. It was interesting to meet them but the context was not that of dating. The man amused me that he was one of the few who can type faster than me. He and I used to chat on IRC.
  18. Susan Addams

Hey I've been to Prescott! Love the town, would hate to live there. I love the big hill center of town with that big medical complex on it, and the pretty houses on the west side of town. They got maybe a dozen good restaurants.

And where do you go when you live in Prescott and want a change? There is nothing for hundreds of miles.
    Allene likes this.
  19. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Many of us here have met in real life. When I was driving big rigs around 10 years ago, I was fortunate to meet many of the GA membership during my travels.
  20. Susan Addams

And I learn more about GA forum culture. Interesting forum. Should be more active members. The ones we got are pretty good! :)