1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another School Shooting, 17 dead

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

There is a minute difference in rate of fire between a revolver and a semi-auto pistol, especially in the hands of someone who fires on a regular basis. The major difference is capacity. 5-6 rounds for a revolver vs 5-15 rounds for a semi-auto pistol (depending on size and caliber).

My daily carry is a .45 and depending on the magazine I have loaded, have anywhere from 5-7 rounds. Not much of a difference from a revolver. The difference here is the ability to reload quickly, which can mean life or death in a situation if I need to draw my weapon.

In a situation where a "citizen" needs to fire, they are most likely not going to have any training to fall back on to ensure what they're tossing down range is effective and lethal. So now you have someone who just fired 5 wild shots, maybe one wounded the perpetrator, and since they have a revolver, is going to take forever to reload. In other words, they're most likely going to end up dead with the bad guy winning.

Nope. I'm going to toss enough lethal lead downrange to ensure the fucktard stays thoroughly and permanently dead. If that means emptying 7 and slapping the spare magazine in for another 5, so be it. Because I'm not going to pussy foot around. If you want to use a revolver, more power to ya. But I'm going to ensure I can toss a lot of lead downrange quickly and efficiently.

2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I got the 3913LS 9mm. I just hope to annoy the **** out of somebody so much that they lose interest in messing with me. I took the lessons and the safety class. Just for safety I never chamber a round. (I think the mag has 8.) I like that "snick" which tells anybody within hearing range to not mess with me. Yeah I believe in gun control! Two in the center of mass and one in the head for good luck!

I don't have any illusions that a few 9mm will take a perp down but I do think the perp will be dealing with a lot of personal problems while I'm waiting for a LE response. I'm hoping that losing bodily fluids will be one of those problems.

3. Biker

Then you might as leave it in the night stand. Because chambering that round just notified the perpetrator to start firing first.

If you have a need to grab your weapon, you better be prepared to use it lethally. And that means being better prepared than the person breaking into your home.

4. Susan Addams

Well it's DA. In theory all I have to do is... I guess it's just a state of mind. I never discussed it with anybody. I leave it safety off and no rounds, knowing #1 takes a lot more pull than #2 and later.

5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I will have to find the exact citations which will take me a while. As I said in a previous post, it was the intent of our Founding Fathers that the Citizen have access to the same type and quality of Arms as an individual infantryman. Crew-served weapons (artillery, heavy machine guns, etc.) are a grey area, however private ownership of cannon was not unheard of.

While I write about mass shootings on my blog, I "X" out their names to prevent that glorification. I refuse to watch any Liam Neeson in any movie where he holds a weapon after his anti-gun crack a while back. Keanu Reeves, he does practical 3-gun competitions to improve his weapon handling craft in his movies. Him, I watch.

Suzy, it takes 5 people working 40 hours a week to perform 24/7 protection. You would need another 1-2 on top of that to handle sick days, vacations, etc. It is not the job of the police to "protect" us. 911 is known as Dial-A-Prayer in gun circles.

Also, what *you* think you need to protect yourself, family and property will not be what *I* think I need to protect myself, family and property. It is not right to force me to choices that you think are reasonable.

Home Depot carries 72 different hammers (I counted them one day), from 5oz. tack hammers to 10lb. sledge hammers because they all do different jobs. Firearms are the same way. Handguns are short-range defensive weapons. Shotguns are medium range and "group discount" weapons, while rifles are the original "reach out and tough someone" weapons. Each works well in certain instances and less-well in others. I would not sweep my house with an AR-15, however I would defend it outside with one.

In the 90's I had a home in the suburbs of Memphis. I forget the exact cause, however Memphis proper back then was experiencing "minority unrest." The subdivision where I lived was fairly far from the "unrest," however my fellow residents and I were discussing where to park cars to set up barricades and who had rifles to keep the hordes at bay on the off chance they decided to come our way. Thankfully, we never had to carry out those plans. It is situations just like this where a "high-powered rifle with a banana clip" is the proper tool for the job.

6. Susan Addams

I know what my needs are. Your needs may vary. For one thing, if there is any problem at my place that will threaten my life I'm there 24/7 to protect myself. For another, I keep a constant awareness of what is happening around me at all times at home or away from home. I'm not one of those oblivious people who thinks it can't happen to me.

ETA: Okay, for you Biker I'll edit my post. Because I like you. To make sense for the other members, it was the "1911: in case 911 is too slow" poster. Perhaps it was in bad taste anyway.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. Biker

Ugh. What a horrid picture. Moron needs to get his booger hook off the bang switch.

MemphisMark likes this.
  8. MemphisMark

I'm going to have to add that to my sig or something. I know I've heard it before, but that is succinctly marvelous.

9. Susan Addams

Since I deleted it, contact me if you'd like the image, or you can probably just Google it. It's a bit large for a signature, don'tcha think?

10. MemphisMark

My preferences are to end the threat before it gets into my zip code. The closer they get, the higher chance I'll be hurt. Being hurt means no work and all the associated issues that stem from that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cmhbob likes this.
  11. Susan Addams

Just noting, the Ring Doorbell Pro is wonderful!

I saw a movie once, guy hears his doorbell ring, he looks through the peek hole, and "BANG!!!"

I don't even have to be home to see who's at my door. It even notifies me if somebody loiters at my door. It was totally worth the cost of the product and a handyman to install it.

12. Biker

The only thing wrong with the image was the stupid fuck grabbing his gun with the finger already on the trigger. Hence, the need to get his booger hook (finger) off the bang switch (trigger). Horrid gun safety example.

Susan Addams likes this.
  13. Susan Addams

That's okay Biker, and yes I understood what you meant about the gun safety angle. I'm sure its creator was thinking of a different message to send. Another reason I deleted the image was because I thought it was in bad taste considering the subject of this topic.

A few comments on my earlier statements: My concern is that if somebody forces their way into my residence that by the time law enforcement arrives you can be sure of one thing, that there will be only one witness to interview: me. I rather like the idea that the perpetrator will have to give his side of the story to St. Peter.

ETA:

Oh, I was also taught that my trigger finger should be on the side of the gun not in the trigger guard, and that I should move my finger to the trigger only when I see a shooting solution.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

15. Susan Addams

Sorry, he lost me here.

In my mystery/suspense novels the person uses a .22 cal revolver (sub-sonic, doesn't throw brass) and tapes a bottle to the end of the gun to mellow the expanding gasses.

IMO a knife is much simpler, provided you keep blood evidence off yourself. That is often difficult to achieve.

16. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Susan, that's all existing law right now. It's not a proposal. It's federal law. That's the whole point of the article.

Someone mentioned magazine restrictions. Check out this video, then tell me what you think.

And don't let yourself get sucked into the idea of "needing" something. We don't "need" privately-owned motor vehicles, either. Banning private ownership of cars would save thousands of deaths each year. Need to go somewhere? Buy a bus or plane ticket. Take public transportation.

You don't "need" to own a car that goes faster than about 45 MPH. We have to make it safer on the roads, right?

We don't "need" privately-owned swimming pools. You know how many kids drown in those things? Go to the government-owned pool. It's much safer.

You see where this is going? Pretty soon you won't need anything of your own. The government will provide it all for you. I'd rather not live in that kind of world.

ethics likes this.
  17. Biker

Why? If you read the entire article, it's already law. Yes.... Seriously.

ethics likes this.
  18. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Full equality is a false promise in life. In order to achieve it you must yield more and more power to the government -- which will always insist on more control. The natural evolution of surrendering so much power to the government is tyranny. And that's not hyperbole at all. It's a natural and historically proven transformation.

Allene likes this.
  19. Biker

And this illustrates how clueless the press is.

[​IMG]

The press loves to blame the NRA on preventing common sense gun control, yet... They have never researched the existing laws to see that much of what they're clamoring for is already on the books.

What it boils down to is most on the far left want guns to be banned.

Allene likes this.
  20. Allene

Allene Registered User

Exactly!

ethics likes this.