1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another (my) theory about the missing 777

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Greg, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Best one I've seen so far. I was thinking of the Swissair crash off Peggy's Cove when I was reading this article, not realizing until the end that it was from a Canadian pilot. Makes sense. There's a huge search going on in the Indian Ocean now, so hopefully they will find the plane soon and give some closure to all those poor relatives.
  2. Greg

Greg Full Member

The theory quoted in Andy's post merits enough consideration that the ocean floor between the beginning of the aircraft's odd behavior and the airport named in the essay should be swept for aircraft debris on the ocean floor in a sufficient swath to prove or disprove the theory.

Better than going around in circles or sweeping the entire ocean.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Um... What about the missing files on the captain's home made flight simulator???

What cretins! If you keep using a computer eventually the HDD will fill up and the computer will stop working! Yeah, maybe there is something sinister about the deleted files, but routine house cleaning the HDD is equally plausible, unless the files are recovered and show otherwise.

I have no faith that the deleted files have any significance unless and until they can be recovered and show otherwise.
  4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The one potential fly in the ointment for the Canadian pilot's theory is that apparently the turn was initiated something like 12 minutes before the "Good night" communication.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

The "turn initiated before saying 'goodnight'" is the main bolster of the hijack theory (including the pilots were in on it).

Maybe the Ruskies did it to take the American press off the Crimea story....... (J/K)
  6. SixofNine

So now we're back to the crew responding to an emergency, because as of yesterday the turn took place after the "good night."

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

I'm sick of all this bullshit. I have just one thing to add. A programmed turn is the same thing as a manual turn except that in a manual turn the pilot(s) turns off the auto-pilot and puts his hands on the wheel, where in a programmed turn the pilot punches the new heading into the autopilot.

What I'm saying is that whether or not the turn was manual or programmed is irrelevant.

I wish they could get their timeline straight as to whether the turn happened before or after "goodnight."
  8. SixofNine

Here's an excellent summary of what happened, who fucked up, and why.

The article continues with details of how Inmarsat saved the day with its satellite data.
  9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

cmhbob likes this.
  10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

A very telling paragraph near the end:

ethics likes this.
  11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

12. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Here's an interesting piece from New York magazine, from one of the primary talking head experts. He also wrote a good bit about the Air France flight. He mentioned something that I had known: the satellite everyone was focused on was not actually in a geosynchronous orbit. It was "wobbling" a bit, so the math based on its position was off.

How Crazy Am I to Think I Know Where MH370 Is? -- NYMag
    ethics likes this.
  13. Andy

That thing reads like a Clancy novel.
    ethics likes this.