1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another gang rape accusation..,

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Dec 5, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And another apology for jumping to conclusions. Rolling Stones magazine, the one that did an upbeat angle on the Boston Marathon bomber, apologizes.

A Note to Our Readers | Rolling Stone

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Funny how they worded things. No apologies to the Fraternity or University, but we're sorry to our readers for jumping the gun.

No surprises there, huh?

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Not surprised. People will do anything to get attention.

4. ethics

5. Biker

Something just jumped out and smacked me on the forehead. If, as they say, this woman is going around giving talks on campus, how the hell does she still remain anonymous after all this? Someone, somewhere would have jumped up and identified her to the press long before this, no?

6. ethics

There's so much ham there I don't know how it even BECAME a story? I love how UVA just flat out believed it and closed down fraternities and other functions. Great stuff.

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

8. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Certainly gives rise to the notion that our institutes of higher learning are one of the most rapacious poachers of critical thinkers, doesn't it?

9. ethics

Pretty much.

10. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

I remember from the movie The Paper Chase, John Houseman's character saying, "I am here to teach you how to think." Evidently, that method of learning is no longer taught on Liberal campuses...

To swallow whole one persons account without any type of verification screams of dogmatic idealism. Rolling Stone didn't even ask if the accused fraternity had a party on the day in question.

This failing calls into question the entire industry of news reporting. 80+% of reporters admit to having Liberal political views, and this is just the capstone to the fact that "news" has transitioned from neutral reporter to crusading political activist.

Allene likes this.
  11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Twitchy has been all over the retardation coming out of the left on this whole thing. They, of course, want to change the narrative to one of "Well, it's still a real issue" as opposed to how it should morph into "Fake accusations dilute real ones, with real victims".

‘Like the crazy factory exploded': Feminist blogger ‘emphatically’ defends lying about rape; Update: Twitter account deleted? | Twitchy

I can't state this more emphatically: If Jackie's story is partially or wholly untrue, it doesn't validate the reasons for disbelieving her.

— Melissa McEwan (@Shakestweetz) December 5, 2014

Uhhh, yes it DOES, you brainless twit! Any accusation deserves some level of scrutiny, and the more severe, the greater the level of scrutiny should be.

The thing I hate more than anything in this activist / political / polarized age is the stench of lies. It seems to me that some people think that lying is just fine. Like the lesbian waitress. Like Stephen Glass. Tawana Brawley. Duke Lacrosse.

It should never be wrong to call bullshit bullshit.

Of course, the strawman arguments fly from the lefties...

Amanda Marcotte @AmandaMarcotte
    Interesting how rape apologists think that if they can “discredit” one rape story, that means no other rape stories can be true, either.

Said nobody, ever. What was discredited was the notion that ALL rape stories are true.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2015
    Sierra Mike and ethics like this.
  12. Biker

Copzilla and ethics like this.
  13. Biker

UVA rape story: 'No substantive basis' for allegations - CNN.com

Of course, the misinformation and BS coming out in support of this woman is mind boggling. Some pundit was claiming FBI statistics of 2% of false allegations. However, other sources (peer reviewed, too) claim higher percentages, possibly as high as 50%.

Funny thing about all this? She's going to be given a pass on all this, especially if it all comes out that it really is, 100%, BS.

14. ethics

Beliefs are a religion for these idiots. No facts will turn that away.

15. Allene

Allene Registered User

If they drink as much as members of the fraternities/sororities do around here, I'm surprised any of them can remember what happened by the next morning.

16. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The absolute biggest lie from liberals on all of this is their belief that false allegations are harmless, and still point to a bigger problem.

17. Biker

This is more true than you think.

Rolling Stone’s Boss Plays the Victim - The Daily Beast

In fact, rather than own up to their own failures, they blamed "Jackie". These idiots are no better than the hacks at the National Enquirer.

ethics likes this.
  18. Biker

19. Arc

Arc Full Member

Rape is one of the most serious acts or crimes in the USA. It’s also a completely uniquely crime, be it alleged or actually charged. This is because the name of the accuser or alleged victim remains anonymous. The name is kept secret from the public both by the press and the judicial system.

Such a unique and inherently unfair aberration in our free press and judicial system means that the allegation starts out with a presumption of guilt and a suppression of full access to the truth.

The granting of anonymity to the accuser and alleged victim is in of itself a wrong. It is only reasonable that something that starts with a wrong and concealment is going to often turn out bad in more ways than one.

ethics likes this.
  20. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The big tragedy is that journalism fiascoes such as this overshadow real cases. Did you know that another student was slipped a roofie (or something similar) in the same frat house at UVA in the mid-1980s and gang-raped?

She got some measure of justice as one of her assailants wrote to her 20 years later to apologize. He wound up serving an insultingly short period of prison time, but at least there was a conviction. The victim's description of how she was treated by hospital and university staff after the rape are maddening.