1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Ding on NAFTA

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

With our own good GWB attempting to bend over backwards to placate Vicente Fox, here comes another story on the "success" of NAFTA. As I get down to El Paso/Juarez a couple of times a year, I can tell you that Juarez was a cesspool before NAFTA, but it certainly is "blossoming" now. Just another example, IMHO, of how NAFTA is bad for the U.S., and its helpful effects on Mexico can be largely disputed.

2. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

And it's not doing much for Canada either.

OK, it's official. It's not good for anybody! Let's get rid of it! :)

3. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

My personal feelings towards NAFTA aside, I don't see how you can realistically link it with those murders. If the town grew, then in any large town there will be increased violence. I am not sure I see how these people were murdered directly for NAFTA...

4. Coot

Ravenink, no NAFTA = no 400 factories and people moving in large numbers to Juarez.

5. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

I concur, but if for example a business opportunity arises in LA, and I and a bunch of others move out there to pursue it, and some of us are subsequently killed because with the massive influx tihngs are more violent, then is that really the fault of the business opportunity?

6. Coot

No, this hasn't got a lot to do with the businesses per se (other than you can bet they backed NAFTA), this has to do with international government policies creating an environment for businesses to flourish in areas that have neither the infrastructure to safely support the influx of people or the will to fix it.

7. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

sounds alot like every major city...