1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And the Ships Move Out...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 5, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

.[​IMG]

The USNS Bob Hope, seen in this undated file photo, one of three enormous U.S. military owned cargo ships capable of carrying tanks, left U.S. shores recently amid mounting evidence Washington is building up firepower to attack Iraq. The director of the Military Sealift Command declined comment on the exact destination of the ships. The 'Bob Hope' is believed to be carrying equipment for mechanized army units having set sail sometime in the last two weeks.

2. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I recognize that this type of info is fascinating to discuss, but, on the other hand, isn't this 'deployment' type of info also of interest to 'the enemy'?
    Maybe this stuff was intentionally 'leaked' to the press to impress the 'emeny'.
    But, maybe not.
    I just think 'the press' should be a little carefull here, when 'hot, from undisclosed sources', could possibly endanger our troops.
    I know, I'm being paranoid. But, who knows?
    Regards,

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's part of the package, sure. I think it's less important to know the ships are moving out than what's actually in them, however. But seeing BGOs--Big Gray Ones--heading out into blue water should have a lot of people frazzled trying to figure out what is and is not headed their way.

SM

4. ethics

Posturing is about 60% of winning a battle?

5. ethics

The exposed Navy files included material designed to support a machine for testing the electronics of weapon systems called the Consolidated Automated Support System. Web surfers were able to browse through hundreds of trouble tickets, dating back to 1989.

Also accessible by Internet users was a site operated by the Naval Supply Systems Command that enables Navy personnel to order commercial software or internally developed applications. One section of the database, known as QUADS, allowed visitors to pull up records on who registered to use the system and included their passwords.

A group of French security enthusiasts known as Kitetoa discovered the vulnerable sites, which were running IBM's Lotus Domino software. Kitetoa has reported similar security problems with Lotus software on other government and private websites.

On purpose or are they dunces?

Full Wired Article

6. Sierra Mike

It don't hurt none, that's for sure.

SM

7. Sierra Mike

Domino's for dummies when using it facing the web.

SM

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Exercise Prepares Tarawa Sailors, Marines for Deployment:
    Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX) from Oct. 21-31.

Mine Warfare Ships Arrive for Crew Training:
    Sailors aboard the mine-countermeasures ships USS Guardian (MCM 5) and USS Patriot (MCM 7) skillfully guided their vessels to the Japanese port city of Yokosuka Oct. 18, seemingly unfazed by the aggravating rain and somewhat choppy seas.

Attack on Iraq is coming on, deployments are going up, the CINC CenCom is in Bahrain.

9. mike

mike mesmerized

Saddam fucked up already!!! Turn her around boys!

10. Sierra Mike

Damn, hope all hands were secured for that course change.

SM

11. ethics

Really, holy! I've never seen a carrier in such a turn...

12. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

OFL. Funny how all the deck equipment stayed secure during that come about. LOL

13. mike

mike mesmerized

for your enjoyment

14. mike

mike mesmerized

15. mike

mike mesmerized

what the hell, one more

16. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

This last one is magestic. Great photo, mike.

17. ethics

How did you know, Misu?

18. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

dohh... is that a trick question, ethics? Are you up to your old trickery?

How did I know what?

19. ethics

Never mind. I need some rest. I thought the NAME of the ship was Magestic.

(I am a loser)

20. mike

mike mesmerized

It is the USS John C. Stennis, CVN 74, if you wanted to know...