1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And Since I'm a Gun Owner...

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

...I'm the threat to society. Awesome. Not saying firearms for everyone is the answer, but for the love of God, there was a kid involved in this, too. What if the guy with the knife had decided to go after him/her?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Love the comments. Sounds like the tide is turning.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

Leon, I don't understand what you mean about the comments. I just had a look and most of them look stupid to me.

Addressing SM's comment: "Not saying firearms for everyone is the answer..." I don't know about you but even if I could get a CCW permit I wouldn't carry, or rarely (I can't imagine any scenario other than a period of civil unrest). There was a recent decision by the US Court of Appeals 9th Circuit ruling that California has been so restrictive in refusals to issue CCWs that it violates the 2nd Amendment. Some counties (San Diego, Orange...) have loosened their policy while CA Atty. Gen. Kamala Harris (you guessed it, a liberal) has petitioned the court for a review. Maybe I'm wrong but IMO it will snow in hell before L.A. County alters its policy which can basically be summed up in one word: "No."

I wonder how many people feel like I do, that I believe not allowing me to carry concealed is a violation of my Constitutional rights under the 2nd Amendment. It's the principle with me, not an actual desire to carry. But you never know. Things change. There may come a future day when having a concealed weapon may become a good idea. What do I do then if it's still blocked in Los Angeles? (You got it. I'll carry. Better to be hung by 12 than carried by 6.)

But I suspect that if routine issuance of CCW permits were universal in America not that many people would get them, and out of the people who did get them there would be many like me getting them just to have the option, not actually planning to carry.

And on the platform with the crazy guy with the knife? Sorry to break it to you, but I could see myself getting into a world of legal problems if I shot the guy with the knife. And as you know (probably agree) you don't shoot to wing somebody. If I were on that platform and had a gun I probably wouldn't use it unless the guy came after ME.

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

My concern is being able to defend myself, my family, and my friends. I spend too much time in the wilds of NYC to be deprived of that ability, as the NYPD is too busy doing other things. That this happened at GCT--tourist central--where there's a genuine dearth of law enforcement (except for where they check your bags to see if you're a bomb-carrying terrorist every twelve weeks or so), I think I've developed a suitable sense of concern.

I'm in GCT four times a week. This could have happened to me. I can't always guarantee that I'm going to have an escape route handy, but the law prevents me from taking additional steps toward ensuring my safety. The NYPD looks great when viewing a CompStat display, but on the ground, the reality is quite different.

5. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Greg, PA is the number 2 state with regards to licenses, and it's a shall-issue state. So the fact that it's routine doesn't make it happen less often.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

Well what I mean to say is that if I'm carrying and somebody is attacking you, I probably won't draw. But if somebody is attacking me I'll draw and nail if I can. Sorry, I'm just being honest.

In a mall shootout I think I would behave differently. Saving your life is a lot different than saving several peoples' lives. If I could stop a mall shooter I think I would face the legal problems and end it for the shooter.

Sorry to be so blunt. At least I won't sugar coat anything. I'm not a super hero. I'm #1 and everybody else is #2 (except friends and family who are also #1). But if the perp wants to do harm to #1 or friends/family then the perp is #dead if I can help it.

There's something everybody should factor in to their "what if every honest citizen had a CCW." Not everybody who has the power will want to get involved. Some will just walk away unless personally threatened.

Again, I'm sorry if my bluntness and honesty has offended anybody. You should factor this in to your "if everybody were armed" scenarios.

Joseph, I didn't mean you personally. If I knew it was somebody here on the forum I would defend them no question, even if I had to go to court. If I defended you I know you would be there to provide testimony proving that it was a righteous kill.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have a CCW in Florida. Primarily because it makes it easier for me to transport my weapons and allows me to buy without the three day period. I have tried a couple of holsters and with the way I dress carry is not concealed with me, unless concealed is looking like I have two pounds of steel on my side under my shirt. But I can defend my house and I can carry if desperate. In most cases I would be found avoiding any area that would require me drawing a gun.

Open carry is often discussed. If allowed I would not do it. If present where a crime is about to be committed the man open carrying would be the first target for a criminal.

8. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Slightly off topic but this brings to mind an incident that happened recently:
    I have a coworker who has a permit and carries because his fiancee mooved into a rough neighborhood (house was broken into twice in the first week, regular shootings nearby) and he felt carrying regularly was prudent.
    He was taking the ferry over to see her the other day and bent diwn to get something out of his bag. Two teenage girls must have been looking down his shirt as he did this as the caught a glympse of his gun.
    All the sudden they start shouting "Oh my god! He has a guy! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!"
    Needless to say this starts a panic on the boat and crew members spring into action.
    He privides them with all the proper documents, the crew thanks him and the alert is canceled. The crew then took the young ladies aside and had a nice long chat with them.
    Now who was the threat to public safety here? Thankfully the crew responded quickly, efficiently and professionally.

A man was carrying in full compliance with the law but public paranoia is such that a situation developed where people could have been hurt for real in their attempt to escape the perceived psycopathic mad dog killer with a gun.

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

There's another good reason to not get involved even if you are at the scene where a crime is being committed.

And if you engage the shooter he's going to engage you back if you are the only person returning fire.

And to add a fourth reason, what happens if the police arrive on the scene and see you in your shooter's stance? Of course anybody with a brain would upon seeing police arrive would immediately drop their weapon and put their hands on their head in the universal "I'm harmless" signal.

But in the fog of war you might not notice the arrival of the police.

If Los Angeles eventually begins issuing CCW permits I'll apply for one, but only if there is some extreme situation (civil unrest for example) where I might want to carry. At the present I'm perfectly happy to defend my home, and rely on my judgement to keep me out of trouble when I'm away from home.