1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancient Computers

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Well the ancient computer of the week is an old Pentium 150MHz. Still trying to figure out how to get an OS on the thing. I just get a black screen when I try to boot the Win98 CD. Heck it doesn't see the CD-ROM in DOS. I think it might be b0rked. The floppy drive was held in with tape, I upgraded them to metal screws (w00t!) and now I'm fighting with the crappy cables trying to get everything working properly again. The floppy is being a PITA. I'm going to check to see if the cable is backwards tommorrow. I personally think they should deep six the thing, but as a rule I never turn down a client/challenge...

2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

With that old bios, I'm pretty sure you have to boot from floppy and then load the cd-rom driver to get it to recognize it properly. Make sure you have MSCDEX loaded.

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yeah I tried it and no luck. I got a spare CD-ROM I'm going to throw in there and try. If that doesn't work, If I get the floppy drive working i have an original Win95 floppy disk set I can try. If that doesn't work then I will tell them that it is a lost cause...

4. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Older CDROM drives have a hard time with CDRs, because the reflections are not as bright as the ones produced by commercially pressed CDs.

Oldest computer in my house: Atari 800 (64K of RAM!)
    Oldest computer in my house that's actually being used: 486 DX-66. Uptime: 64 days.