1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An aberration or representative?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Jedi Writer, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

"I have no regrets... I told the US that its officials would not be safe in their homes if it continues to target Palestinians."

According to the BBC so says Pakistani citizen Aimal Khan Kansi, who will be executed today for his murder spree outside the Virginia CIA headquarters in 1993. He added that he would do the same again if given the chance.

He said he carried out the 1993 attack to register his anger at American "anti-Muslim" policy in the Middle East.

Kansi entered the country legally in 1991 but at the time of the shooting was here illegally as his passport had expired in 1992.

According to most news sources much of the Muslim World, especially Pakistanis, condems the U.S. for extraditing him from Pakistan, some say illegally, and for sentencing him to death at his trial. Many threats of violence against the U.S. and its citizens have arisen from some Islamic organizations and some individual Muslims if the execution goes forward.

He allegedly had ties to the CIA. What those ties were are subject to debate but the consensus seems to be that he at least had some dealings with them.

Any thoughts on this situation and the issues or allegations Kansi raises? Is he an aberration, or is he representative to some degree of a larger segment of the world population and some foreign cultures? If he is representative what does that mean to the U.S. given we are not likely to change our policy towards Israel or the Palestinians? And do you think the threats against us are valid when Kansi is executed?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think he speaks for himself mostly, and a few radicals.

3. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Somebody, somewhere, will carry out some act of terrorism in this guys name after his execution, I am fairly certain of that. Will his execution be the trigger for larger, organized attacks? Maybe. we'll see at 9:00pm EST when he is scheduled to be executed.

Recent ABC news story.

4. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

He's dead.