1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amnesty International

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by dainbramage, Nov 27, 2002.

1. dainbramage

dainbramage Land Of The Lost

I have sent an e-mail to this person. You can also send this same letter by snail-mail. Please help.

Ambassador Juan Jose Bremer Martino
    Embassy of Mexico
    1911 Pennsylvania, NW
    Washington, DC 20006

Your Excellency:

I am writing to you on behalf of the more than 200 women who have been killed or "disappeared" in Ciudad Jurez, Chihuahua state, since 1993. I urge you to convey my concerns to your government and to ensure that authorities conduct an immediate, thorough, and impartial investigation into the matter. These women deserve justice, as do all the women living and working in and around Jurez.

Mexican officials, both at the state and federal level, have an obligation to carry out thorough, impartial, and prompt investigations into patterns of violence against women, to ensure that those responsible are brought to justice, and to take appropriate measures to prevent similar cases from happening. These measures must be transparent and effective if confidence in the judicial system is to be built and the pattern of murders ended. A pattern of such terrible murders demands a fully integrated response from all relevant state and federal institutions to demonstrate that such crimes cannot and will not be tolerated.

In January 2002, Amnesty International wrote to Mexican authorities to request information on the progress of investigations into the Juarez cases, and to insist on the need for immediate, thorough and impartial investigations, and on the responsibility of governmental institutions to take measures to ensure the safety of the vulnerable. The responses received to date have been far from satisfactory, and cast doubt on the avowed commitment of the authorities to end the tragedy of the last nine years and to restore dignity to the victims and their relatives.

Furthermore, in light of the links between globalization and violence against women and the increasingly important role played by multinational companies investing in Mexico, the Mexican government should strongly encourage companies operating within its borders to show human rights leadership and social responsibility in their communities by providing appropriate and adequate protections to ensure the safety of their workers.

Your administration has been built on the promise of taking a firm stand on human rights abuses and of ending impunity for perpetrators. I therefore respectfully urge you to call for the implementation of an immediate, thorough and impartial investigation into the murders in Ciudad Jurez and to seek measures to ensure the safety of the vulnerable members of the community.
    Violence against women must be tackled at its roots. All instances of suchviolence must be thoroughly investigated and its perpetrators brought to justice, and steps must be taken to address the causes of women's vulnerability to violence.

Please help. Anmesty International is a wonderful program.
    To stay informed of what they are doing, go here http://takeaction.amnestyusa.org/newsletter.asp