1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America's Army LAN game

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by EMIG, Jan 13, 2003.

1. EMIG

EMIG Yup

So I start a server on the same machine where I play, but I don't see it listed under "LAN games"...

2. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

I never could figure out how to get on a server with that damned game.

3. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I can get on Internet servers fine. I just can't see the one I create on my own LAN.

4. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

Not sure if you have been to the FAQ here, but this gave me a problem when I first ran one.

And then this:
    and this:
    That is what fixed my problem. If they do not work, be sure to post back and we'll see what we can do.

wapu

5. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Still didn't show under "LAN games", but I was able to connect to it using "open" in the console. Super laggy if you play on the server. Might be lame OS (98) on the server, tho'. I'll try it on my Win2k machine next.

6. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

You're not the only one. I downloaded it for my husband and he got sick of it real fast. It was a PITA to connect to some servers even if you were supposed to be allowed in because you did basic training. He got fed up and removed it from comp cursing the whole time ;)

7. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

One thing I do have to say about the game is that it is a resource hogg. Running the server on my box, OCed XP 2000+, XP PRO, 512Mb pc2700 RAM and a GForce 4 Ti4200 64Mb Vid Card, while playing creates some lag. I turned off SETI and that helped some.;) But, on the flip side, my son and wife play on a 1 Ghz Athy with a GForce2 32Mb Video card. I turned the vid quality in the game down for them and they play fine.

The interface for setting up a LAN game does leave something to be desired. But, I use batch files for Networked SETI stuff and a bunch of servers at work so maybe that helped. I still love the game though.:)

wapu

8. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Was getting werked somethin' fierce on the public servers last night. Problem is, there are rumors of cheats so every time someone makes an unbelieveable shot you get suspicious. But then you get lucky...

9. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I had some great shots on the FLS last night. I was one shot killing from the tree line with an M-16. <b>I</b> thought I might be cheating.;) Rumors abound, but I am not sure about cheats. I do not worry about it and just play. I also learned how to crawl with the sites still up. That makes a big difference when adjusting for shots. I didn't realize you could change your spee with the shift key.:) I should read the manual. I did go up 2 honor while playing last night. That was cool.

wapu

10. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Well, that explains it. The "cheater" last night shot me at ~100 yds while moving side-to-side. I thought your sights always went down when you moved. I didn't know they'd stay up if you slowed down...

That's one of my favorite things about this game, BTW. No more making shots with a heavy machine gun while at a dead run like you can in CS.

11. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I like that and the breathing when the sites are up. I still throw a grenade like a girl, but am working on that. I found I can throw it farther if I jump. I also like the way the 203 targeting is off. That is just how I remember it. I am looking forward to when they fix the vehicle glass though. It is bullet proof right now.;) I use it, but I wish side scrolling wasn't there, and maybe a little less fog. Still though, it is the best <b>free</b> game I have ever played and the only first person shooter I have ever played more than a couple of times.

wapu

12. EMIG

EMIG Yup

What's up with the breathing when you have the binoculars up, tho'? I've used binocs in RL many times, and I don't remember them being affected by my breathing.

Agreed on the fog. It would also be nice if the buildings showed damage. The defensive tower on Bridge gets a pretty good beating every round, but it always looks (and protects) like it's brand new.

This is also the best free game I've ever played. Not the first FPS I've played extensively, but definitely my fave right now.