1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Americas] Arizona House Backs Strict Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Apr 14, 2010.

1. LtC Dan

LtC Dan No horse too dead to beat

One of my favorite email thingys...Mexican laws?

Mexicans here and in Mexico are rather upset by the recent enactment of stricter anti-illegal alien laws by Arizona's governor. In light of the following, that position demonstrates the typical double standard used by race-hustlers and assorted something-for-nothings.

Immigration Laws:

1 There will be no special bilingual programs in the schools.

2. All ballots will be in this nation's language.

3. All government business will be conducted in our language.

4. Non-residents will NOT have the right to vote no matter how long they are here.

5. Non-citizens will NEVER be able to hold political office

6. Foreigners will not be a burden to the taxpayers. No welfare, no food stamps, no health care, or other government assistance programs. Any burden will be deported.

7. Foreigners can invest in this country, but it must be an amount at least equal to 40,000 times the daily minimum wage.

8. If foreigners come here and buy land... options will be restricted. Certain parcels including waterfront property are reserved for citizens naturally born into this country.

9.. Foreigners may have no protests; no demonstrations, no waving of a foreign flag, no political organizing, no bad-mouthing our president or his policies. These will lead to deportation.

10. If you do come to this country illegally, you will be actively hunted &, when caught, sent to jail until your deportation can be arranged. All assets will be taken from you.

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

"It's a bad law, and does bad things! Or so I've read in the newspapers, because I haven't actually read the bill yet.

Way to go, AG Holder. Anything else you've missed?

3. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Joe, is this one of those greater legal minds you were referring to, who says it's a bad law? I expect that very few of them have actually read the law, including Obama himself, who thinks Hispanic Americans eating ice cream will be getting jacked up.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Holy crapola. This is America, folks.

5. LtC Dan

LtC Dan No horse too dead to beat

6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Things just got more interesting.

Said by an Arizona utility commissioner in a letter to the LA City Council. Arizona supplies 25% of Los Angeles' power.

Power Play Over Immigration Law | NBC Los Angeles

7. cmhbob

LOVE IT!

8. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

That's awesome!

I love how one comment to the article mentions cutting off CA's supply of Colorado River water too.

9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Now that would in fact be something that SCOTUS would not allow under the dormant commerce clause.

10. cmhbob

You mean the LA City Council's action? Or Oakland? Or Berkeley? Or San Diego? Or Seattle? Or Pasadena? Or Austin? Or Boulder? Or St. Paul, Minn.? Or San Francisco? Or Boston? Or New York City?

11. Techie2000

I was referring to if the utilities followed the lead of the utility commissioner and decided to not sell power to California.

12. cmhbob

But how is that any different from calling for a boycott, or actually canceling scheduled travel, as is happening with a couple of schools and a basketball tournament? It's causing an adverse effect on Arizona's economy, right?

13. Copzilla

That's not what he proposed. He said if California *truly* wished to live by an economic boycott of Arizona, then they should renegotiate to receive no power from Arizona. He in no way threatened to cut off California.

Which of course illustrates the problem - people reading what they want to read, of the law originally, and now this letter.

14. Techie2000

I suppose without a formal promulgation of a regulation it technically isn't. But coming from the commissioner, and especially if he attempts to induce the action through incentive or punishment, it sure looks like a state regulation interfering with interstate commerce to me.

15. Techie2000

He also said,

16. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Yes, once the LA City Council made the request, he would happily encourage Arizona utilities to the table. This is what he meant. I doubt he has the power (ha-ha, unfunny pun!) to enact such a change by himself.

SM

17. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Bottom line for me is this. The liberal side and their pro amnesty open borders allies clearly thought the usual big media trashing of something counter to their narrowminded viewpoint would result in quick and complete capitulation. Arizona and it's people have clearly not wilted like they have expected which is usual when faced with the normal smear campaign. Queue the gnashing of teeth and hair pulling.

The full transcript of the letter, which was to the Mayor and not the City Council as I indicated:

Hot Air

18. Copzilla

Exactly. He's not threatening them at all. He's offering to renegotiate their contracts for them, so they can be free of Arizona power, since they want to boycott Arizona.

Seems to me that the good and righteous, upright and pious people of California should take him up on his offer. They should cut the lights and air conditioners, and do with 25% less power, in order to boycott Arizona. It's only right. Do the right thing, California!

19. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

An excellent reality check is provided by this close examination of the Greater Phoenix area, right there in the state of Arizona.

And the answers, sadly, are not good.
    Read the whole thing--especially the links to the Pulitzer-winning series from the East Valley Tribune.

I do not think, after the changes, that the law automatically requires or even encourages racial profiling. That's no longer a sound argument. But the evidence strongly confirms my initial suspicion. It won't work, won't help, and may even do harm.

20. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member